Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

New Rear Tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Beginning Member
dothedeww is on a distinguished road
Default New Rear Tailgate

Does anyone know where I can buy a rear tailgate for an 87 K5 Blazer? It has the manual roll down window. The tailgate is cracked in many places and the window is all screwed up, needs new everything basically. Anyone know where I can order the whole tailgate with window assembly?

Thanks

Old 05-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

LMCTruck has all of the components. You'll need to reuse some of the brackets, rods, etc from yours, but they'll have the major components. It won't be cheap though.

Your best bet is probably to keep an eye on Craigslist and/or eBay for one.

I bought a complete power tailgate for my truck for $60. I have another rust free shell I picked up for $50. And then there is the manual tailgate I have on my K5 now that has some surface rust on it. Both of the replacement tailgates were purchased off Craigslist.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Beginning Member
dothedeww is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
LMCTruck has all of the components. You'll need to reuse some of the brackets, rods, etc from yours, but they'll have the major components. It won't be cheap though.

Your best bet is probably to keep an eye on Craigslist and/or eBay for one.

I bought a complete power tailgate for my truck for $60. I have another rust free shell I picked up for $50. And then there is the manual tailgate I have on my K5 now that has some surface rust on it. Both of the replacement tailgates were purchased off Craigslist.

Wow. I will defniitely keep an eye out on criagslist.

The guy I bought this truck from musta been best friends with silicone and hot glue, if there was a leak somewhere he musta pulled out the silicone gun. Window is glued shut with silicone and everything, he even tinted the windows with duct tape, that was fun to get off.

Its a fun restoration project though, thanks for responding to my threads and helping!

Old 05-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Starting Member
Ck1500 is on a distinguished road

i couldnt agree more on the craigslist idea.. i bought the LMC tailgate cuz mine was completely shot.. so you buy the 200 dollar shell and put another 200 plus dollars into it for replacement parts from them.. it was a expensive lesson learned on my behalf.. but i also can say i have a NEW everything on my tailgate. funny thing is, is after i purchased all my stuff, about a week later there was a k5 blazer tailgate located in the same town i live in for 200 complete... and no rust... talk about a kick in the nutz!

Ck1500

Old 05-06-2010, 10:58 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

$25

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/pts/1721550011.html

my last loaded tailgate i traded off for a set of front lift springs. they are out there.

but from past experences too if your tailgate split theres probably a bigger issue like a body that is jacked up and pulling away. so if you do buy a new tailgate theres a slight chance that it might not fit without pulling your quarters in. happened with my first truck. i eventually just took a come-a-long and pulled the body back together and bolted the tailgate closed.