Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

paint list

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:32 AM
twei is an unknown quantity at this point
Default paint list

does anyone have a list of the factory paints?
i want to buy touch up paint but cant tell which GM red is mine.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: paint list

I believe it is in your RPO code list. They are in yout glove compatment. A bunch of 3 digit codes. Write them all down, then search on here for RPO codes, and you will find the decoder.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:05 PM
hockeykid15 is an unknown quantity at this point

you can go to a chevy dealer and they will mix up some touch up for you. i went to my local dealer and they mixed some up for me in about 10 mins. it only cost about $12 too

Old 05-02-2007, 05:29 PM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's your vehicle , but IMO I would never buy touch up paint. I would go to a body shop and ask them if they can mix up a 1/2 pint of your color, not your code, but the color you have now after fading and weather taking its toll on your vehicle. It will actually match, and then all you need to do is wait a few days and put a nice cutting wax on the spot or spots and buff it out, then a nice polish, and a buff, then you will never know it was there.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:45 PM
igot10pinitis is an unknown quantity at this point

lol shops CAN'T match paint fade. There are no varients for paint fade either! I don't know where you got "have them mix up your color not your code??

seriously though here you go

www.paintscratch.com

your welcome!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: igot10pinitis

lol shops CAN'T match paint fade. There are no varients for paint fade either! I don't know where you got "have them mix up your color not your code??

seriously though here you go

www.paintscratch.com

your welcome!
So, what is it that makes it impossible to match a paint sample that is faded? Just for my curiosity and understanding on your position. I believe it is quite easy to match faded paint , I had it done in half an hour on my old blue 5.0 mustang, I liked the faded blue color better than the original blue (and with a little wax it always looked like a custom color). The shop, which I later went to work for, was easily able to give me the color I was looking for. We never had a problem matching the slightly different from stock colors that came in on accidents either. Our work always went out with the entire vehicle's paint matched perfectly, faded or not. It never took me more than fifteen minutes to match a paint sample either.It is also my firm belief that the factory can't and doesn't always mix the exact same color each time, that in my opinion would be impossible. Therefore, touch-up paint can't always be mixed exactly perfect to each vehicle, making it quite hard to make a chip or scratch disappear, when the touch-up you just put over it is to bright or dark.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Starting Member
sasquatchfound is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey rabbit is there really a good rust coverter that works?

Old 06-04-2007, 03:59 PM

I've heard good things about a product called rust bullet. Try googling it and see what you can find out.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:31 PM
igot10pinitis is an unknown quantity at this point

well when your prime color is a shade or so off the real color, you use variants in the mixing database to get it as close as possible, say if i was to spray a fender and it was to light, i would go into our touchmix computer (that gets updates every 3 months) and look at the different varients i could use. Such as Lighter flop than prime, yellower than prime, bluer ect ect. Some colors have a lot more variants than others. Some-Most paints on cars today have 7-10 different tints/toners in them, and it can be a pain to get perfection when your measuring down to .00 grams! Also most cars i think 89 maybe earlier and up got base coat/clear coat on them. The clear is there to protect thecolor from fading. Fading can always be fixed by buffing (burning for slang what i call it) with a good compound. Compounds/polishes are what the trick is to a brilliant shining car. Buffing single stage cars (older) takes time and awareness. You could easily burn thru an edge way easier than a clear coated paint job. Also you can only buff single stage so many times before it wears real thin. Also when you buff single stage it will fade again in a few months because there is no clear to protect it. I only paint a lot of newer cars say 99-up and really have no issue with any type of fading. Scratches and swirls yes a lot but not fading to where you can't shine it back up.

Im not here to argue. I think i have some very knowlegable answers to answer for people when it comes to painting and paint problems. That website is definately not what you should do to get touch up. I was just trying to supply him with a list of what codes they used for the year he was looking for, they are pretty spot on ever time.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:20 PM

Fair enough bro. I just misunderstood what you were trying to get at I guess. Glad you can help lend some expertise to the forum.

Quick Reply: paint list