Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Painting the Bug Guard

Old 08-18-2009, 01:12 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough
Default Painting the Bug Guard

I gotta paint this thing...

Ya, looks bad. That wh ite stuff is from a adhesive remover. WORKS GREAT (not). Lucky I got it off of my hood/grill before it ruined it. Maybe it just doesn't work on plastic, I dunno.

What kind of paint should I use on plastic? I've removed the stickers (hair drier and finger nails FTW) and sanded it down twice. Gotta prime it, but I don't know what paint is good for it. Wanna get some soon.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

Ive always used krylon fusion on plastics and has held up really well. Thats what alot of members use to paint the plastic exterior parts on there trucks.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:38 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Krylon fusion is great for plastics. The only thing bad is, the black paint isn't really BLACK. It's almost impossible to tell but it is kind of on the dark dark dark dark brown side. I didn't really notice it until someone told me about it.

Still, off-black is much better than the faded/peeling-away original paint (I painted the plastic vents beside the rear glass)

Old 08-18-2009, 02:21 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

ok, thanks! I'll have to see if Walmart has it, or another auto store

Old 08-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

Walmart should carry it. Thats where I buy it at.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:56 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Lol, I was going to tell you to go to Canadian Tire to get it but...

I know what you mean about the black though Matt, I painted my cousin's pocket bike for him a couple of nights ago, and once the paint dried, it looked like a flat charcoal colour... not gloss black (unless I'm just crappy at spray painting.)

Old 08-18-2009, 03:07 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Unlimitedsp
Walmart should carry it. Thats where I buy it at.
Ok thx =D

Old 08-18-2009, 03:58 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

Just so your aware Craig, that item can also be painted to match the color of your truck!! If thats what you wanna try and can find the color of your truck get a can of self etching primer also for the plastic b4 painting it.. Just a thought just incase ya wanted to be diff with it...

Old 08-18-2009, 03:59 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by oktain
Lol, I was going to tell you to go to Canadian Tire to get it but...

lol, Canadian Tire doesn't have much territory in the US I don't think Pat . Although it is the best place to get anything like that.
Krylon Fusion should work the best as mentioned.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:21 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by 2002XTREME
Just so your aware Craig, that item can also be painted to match the color of your truck!! If thats what you wanna try and can find the color of your truck get a can of self etching primer also for the plastic b4 painting it.. Just a thought just incase ya wanted to be diff with it...
you can't find that color anywhere I don't belive walmart carries "faded our black" paint. XD

The paint is faded out enough that real black is way to dark for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painting the Bug Guard