Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Painting Rims Black?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Beginning Member
budah93 is on a distinguished road
Default Painting Rims Black?

I have a 98 Jimmy and i'm contemplating painting the stock rims black. I just know how to go about doing this. If you guys have done this before could you please let me know how and possibly post a few pictures?? thanks guys

Old 10-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

A bunch of people have done it search around the forum a bit looking at peoples rides and you will see a ton of them. You can Plastidip them and decide if you like them and if you don't you can just peel it off!

Old 10-11-2012, 02:58 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

What kinda wheels do you have,steel or alloy?Its a personal decision you have to make.I personaly dont care for black rims after seeing alot of them painted but thats just me.Mine are alloy with triangler cutouts on them which I painted red to match the exterior of my Jimmy.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:44 PM
420Blazin4X4 is on a distinguished road

I have plastidip on mine with 5 coats on each wheel... I figure Im not to worried as these will end up being my winter wheels once I get my iroc`s powder coated gloss black..

Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 PM
smaiwald is on a distinguished road

I painted mine this summer. I couldnt find a good powdercoater near me so I just used a rattle can. After I cleaned and taped it I put on 3 coats of Rustoleum Semi Gloss black and one coat of Gloss Clear. I also painted the bowtie on the centercap chrome to accent it. They came out really good. I can't speak to the durablity as Ive only had them this way for a few months.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:19 AM
Beginning Member
prelude1897 is on a distinguished road

Can use plasti dip that way if you get tired of.the look, the stuff will just peal right off

Old 10-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by prelude1897
Can use plasti dip that way if you get tired of.the look, the stuff will just peal right off
I already said that in the first response to his post lol!!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 PM
BLAZENH2O is on a distinguished road

Just got a set of steel wheels and rattle canned them flat black. Picking up chrome lug nuts and 30x9.5 destination mt's tomorrow. Gonna be used as winter and play setup. I'm really hoping it looks tough.

Last edited by BLAZENH2O; 02-21-2013 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-21-2013, 11:39 PM
bytorrrr is on a distinguished road

I painted mine last summer with rattle cans. first I got everything off down to bare aluminum. then I used dupli-color zinc chromate primer.... yellow stuff....2 or 3 coats. need good ventilation. the old timers use it on their aluminum boats that go in saltwater...lasts for years.. then dupli=color high performance wheelcoating black about 4 coats. looked good but it is winter now and they are dirty. seem to be holding up very well though

Old 02-22-2013, 12:26 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Prep is everything, bytorrrr nailed it with that, Plastidip will work, and if you dont like it, you can peel it off. but if you do like it, I would not really use that as a long term thing.

Quick Reply: Painting Rims Black?