Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Painting your dash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 03:39 AM
Canadian_Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Painting your dash?

Well I've wanteds to paint my dash for a long while and finally got the info I needed. Some of you may have tried this b4, I'm not sure. I know some ppl use bondo filler type stuff. I heard from someone around where i live to use clear coat instead of filler...Like enough coals to cover up the texture on the dash bezel. then onece your done and it is hard sand it down smooth. Feel around and if you feel the texture of the dash bezel, well then your not done. Spray it until u can sand it smooth and not feel any texture left. I'm using a product that is clear-primer for plastics. It's pretty much the same crap. After your done that paint it and clear coat or w/e u feel like.

Post if you have any other methods that work well.

I'll post pics when i'm done painting.

Old 02-23-2005, 05:03 AM
benzodogg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Painting your dash?

Let me know how that goes. I have heard that you can sand the texture off of the dash and then just clear coat it. I am wanting to do the same thing. Let me know where you got the info to do this work.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:09 PM
01xtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard the same thing....people just take out the parts they want to paint, sand the HELL out of it (A LOT of sanding) and then primer it a few times to fill in any possible holes they might have left behind, paint it (I've heard from 3 all the way to 8 coats), and then put a coat of clear coat (or two). It's a VERY LONG process to do it right. But there are other ways of doing it.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:11 PM

By the way, stylinconcepts.com has a molded dash cover with flames for like $200. Just install it over the old one, paint it if you want. I was thinking about doing that a while ago.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:18 AM
Canadian_Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

ya a dash cover for 98+ i've only got a 95. plus i'm talking about the bezel. i'm getting close to do it so i'll put pictures up soon!!

Old 02-24-2005, 09:32 PM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point

i wouldn't bondo over the texture, there is a high risk of craking. id just sand the texture off, prime it, paint it, and clear it.

Old 02-24-2005, 09:39 PM

The one thing that I was considering was a billit bezel overlay. I decided against it because of possible glare. I'd imagine that it'd be pretty much the same with a smooth, shiney coat of paint. The texture on the dash, bezel and etc., helps reduce glare.

Old 11-26-2005, 06:03 AM
420Blazin4X4 is on a distinguished road

I`ve done this to a few bezels already.Get ready for a good amount of sanding and sore wrist for a little while afterwards.
You can also use a mouse sander on the flatter areas goes a little faster. I started with coarse grade 400 paper.Sand it down till you can`t see really any texture any more. Then clean it off real good get all the dust off.Then I spray it down with primer promoter.Then filler primer. Sand that down with a medium grit or fine either 800 or 1000 will go faster with the 800
Then reprime again if you need to fill in more low spots.
Then give it a light sand with 1000 grit.Clean it off again real good. Spray a few coats of paint on( I use Duplicolor automotive)another light sand then a few more coats. I have done from 4 caosts to 8 coats just depends on the color you are using.I did 8 coats on a dash I painted white pearl for a friend. Then after the final coat another light sand clean it again then clear coat it.I usually do 2 light coats to get it going then I will do 2 heavy coats.Another light Sand,clean and 2-3 more heavy coats. After It gets a good dry give it a good wax and polsh it out real nice.

If you are looking to fill in areas then 2 part epoxy works good for small fills like around seems and such.But for bigger areas you wanna go with fiberglass.
It`s fairly easy to do your dash just takes time and alot of patience. Dont rush it ,I learned that a few times doing rush jobs just meant going back and redoing it all over again and good luck to you.

I have a bezel and some other parts already done that were in my 2003 Xtreme Blazer that have been painted Indigo Blue if anyone is interested in them.We could possibly work something out with a trade with your dash parts.

Later!

Old 11-29-2005, 09:53 PM
enrybwerd is an unknown quantity at this point

just an FYI, i painted my dash.. didn't sand it or anything.. just cleaned it before i painted it and only had to do about 3 coats per piece and they look great! and it cleans off really easily too.. and i like the texture left on it... the only thing i need now is something to turn the rest of the dash white.. like all the padded stuff, know of anything out there? that isn't too ridiculous?

Old 01-22-2006, 11:40 AM
85FSBSilverado is an unknown quantity at this point

Stainless gauge bezel off eBay, and some custom made gauge faces a friend made.

Stock gauges.

Never had a problem with glare, unless taking a picture. Sun never points directly at it, and doesn't shine back very bright, less than a mirror would.

Try this stuff:
http://duplicolor.com/products/metalspecks.html
Or I've used many, MANY cans of this. I'd say about 12+. Painted interior and other stuff with it.
http://duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html

Brother's Cavy:

Brother's car, then mine and I painted with DupliColor Wheel Paint, back to him for second car. Painted gauge bezel (and rest of interior) with wheel paint. Cleaned with soapy water, let dry, painted. I didn't use any clear coat. Thicker coatings made it shiney. Might suggest the clear coat on DupliColor's website above, second link.

My Bronco:

I painted buttons, button plate, speaker grills, arm rest, and added the vinyl on the door. Cost was about $10 for both doors. I had to do work on them because of the Components, as you can see.

Quick Reply: Painting your dash?