Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Plasti dip - spray fail -

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:05 PM
themcguire is on a distinguished road
Default Plasti dip - spray fail -

Hi ! Decided to do my 1988 Blazer K-5 in Plasti Dip cause I am broke and it's cheap... I know it won't last long but since i can't paint it because I don't have a garage and cannot find any place to rent a paint booth here in North New Jersey I figured wtf lets see how this stuff looks.

Total cost so far is $325.00 including the tent....

I bought a cheap party tent to keep the dust and sun off. We are allowed to spray 2 cars a year in NJ and since this this Not paint - I figured it would be ok.

So I bought the Plasti Dip - Flat black from US Plastics - I have a cheap HVLP sprayer and an 5 hp 20 gal compressor.

I have a guage at the compressor and bought another guage for the spray gun end as well. Set the pressure for 25 lbs and lol no good - this gun needs 50 to 70 lbs.

Set it to 50 lbs and mixed Plasti dip 50% -50% with thinner. Started spraying and these very tiny threads of the stuff fly's everywhere.

This stuff is grey-white and about 1 to 2 mm long it's everywhere.

So i called the plasit dip people - they said the following:

1. In the spray cans it's diluted with only 20% thinner (The product sheet says up to 50% and that is what I have read on the net.)

2. Company rep said best temp is below 70 degrees. It's about 90 degrees here today even under my cheapo tent.

3. Rep also said use pressure "as needed" lol ok!

Anyway - So I added more product to bring the dilution to about 30% and got the same result - I messed with the amount of product flow - the shape of the spray and the amount of air. I even tried a suction type sprayer - all the same result

Anyone ever seen this "flying fibres" event before ?

Is it simply that the stuff is drying in the air before it even hits the truck.

Sure would like to know what's causing it.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:17 PM
247monster will become famous soon enough

im guessing the heat is playing a factor in it and maybe (shot in the dark) you could have some water in your air lines and that could mess with it ....maybe...not totally sure with pasti dip but i know its a common problem with smaller air compressors and shooting paint ...im not saying that will cure it but it might be something to look at lol
hope you get it figured out and post pics lol

Old 07-16-2012, 07:41 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

hate to say it but you could have bought bedliner and done it for cheaper.
i know thats not the point of the thread....just sayin

Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 AM
duxtoyz is on a distinguished road

lol ^

Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

What did you use to mix it with. Did you strain it? What size tip on the gun?

Last edited by neo71665; 07-18-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Beginning Member
garry1970 is on a distinguished road

Maybe the Key word here is "Dip" PlastiDip ... Did you research the product -is this product commonly known for spray its ability ? Have you googled that problem ? You tube search ?? were ya golding your tounge the right way ?
i hope you get this problem solved . or return what you have left and get BL'r

Old 07-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Xenon is on a distinguished road

for that price you could've gotten a cheap paint like Martin Senour or Omni and just painted the thing. I recently redid my '87 Suburban in #21 Light Blue Metallic Omni by PPG... Outdoor paint job, under a tent just like you describe. Turned out pretty damn good, buff it out and it looks great. I was in to that for about $400 when I was done. Looks almost like factory and will last a long long time. That price included two full gallons of paint, two gallons of reducer, enough hardener for two gallons, etc.

As for your plasti dip spraying problem, the first thought I have is what are you thinning it with?

Old 07-22-2012, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by garry1970
Maybe the Key word here is "Dip" PlastiDip ... Did you research the product -is this product commonly known for spray its ability ? Have you googled that problem ? You tube search ?? were ya golding your tounge the right way ?
i hope you get this problem solved . or return what you have left and get BL'r

Really, have you been under a rock for the past 5 years or so?

Its common enough on the ricers even I know bout it. They spray it over the factory paint to give it the flat look and not ruin the paint. When time to resale it peels off leaving the panint under it clean and fresh. They claim it will stay on using pressure washers and light bumps and scratches but I've seen otherwise way to often. The crap doesn't even stick to tool handles and that was what it was designed for.

I get asked about it all the time. Only time I use it is to spray a set of rims to get a sample idea what they would look like. Much easier to peel off if you don't like the look than clean paint off.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:26 PM
themcguire is on a distinguished road
Default Reply to questions - comments about plasti dip

The spray gun I was using was a Harbour Frieght model - the nozzle says 1.4 MM not sure what the tip size is. I mixed it using the Plasti Dip thinner (F740 is their item number). And after hand mixing I did use a fine strainer to put it in the gun. I also have a "dryer" on the air line directly before the hose and I put another Moisture Filter where the hose goes into the gun.

I have spent a few hours looking at the problem on the internet have not found an answer which is why I came to you guys. I am a 60 year old disabled vet. Money is a real concern since I cant work a full time job anymore.

I understand that some of you are not real happy with the idea of this product but I decided on this for a few reasons:

1. I have never painted a car before.

2. I have looked into painting and did not feel that I could do it safely without a garage. The more sites I read the more video's I watched the less confident I became.

3. I have had a car done by Maaco and for over $750.00 for the "better" paint I was still not happy with the results. The local body shops LOWEST quote was $3,800.00

4. This stuff peels off as needed. So if i mess it up I would not have to sand it all off again and redo all the prep work I have done already.

Having spent what I spent so far I am committed to finishing it.

So since no one seems to know the cause of my spraying problem. I have broke down and bought the wagner spray gun sold by dip your car.com Professional Spraygun

They sell it cheaper than Lowes (84.00) FYI: This site has lots of video's on doing whole car's to just emblems.

FYI - Here is product sheet for the plasti dip: http://www.plastidip.com/docs/Rubber%20Dip.pdf

Note the product sheet and their customer service rep state that they recommend the Binks model 95 gun. Found the gun on ebay for $200 but that does not include the correct tip for another 36.00. So spending the 84 bucks on the dipyourcar.com version seems more frugal for me.

Thanks for all the comments and I will advise more when I get the sprayer and get back to work on this. (I ordered the sprayer last Wed and still have not heard about it being shipped - this delay is annoying)

Old 07-22-2012, 06:10 PM

Pretty sure your tip is too small. I use a 2.0 on mine.

Quick Reply: Plasti dip - spray fail -