Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Project - Overhead Console w DIC First Gen S

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Beginning Member
loomdog32 is on a distinguished road
Default Project - Overhead Console w DIC First Gen S

I went to the boneyard yesturday and found some nice stuff.. Grabbed a bunch of interior pieces I needed and this...

The main wire harness is was is left after unwrapping and removing all the extra wires. I grabbed everything 2ft back from the console. What was left was a nice 8 wire pigtail..

The console was from a 93 S10 Blazer 4x4. The DIC was from a 97 S10 Blazer. The console had a plastic tab over where the DIC inserted. Removed the tab and the DIC slid into place. How do you replace the blubs in the front by the DIC??? I couldnt figure out if/how the lens popped out..

I had to modify the back side of the console to get access to the compas wiring harness.. It was just a simple cut I did with a box cutter..

Ill probably start tomorrow fitting the console and running down the other wires needed.. Just hope I can find the VSS for my vehicle.....

Last edited by loomdog32; 11-05-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Cool. I still haven't installed my basic oc in mine yet. Take pics of how it mounts!

Old 11-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Beginning Member

I was hoping the back mount would match the existing mount points for the dome light, but they dont. Ill probably make a simple bracket to fix that. Something will have to be done in the front for that mount point.

Here is a writeup that Im planning on tring to follow (already looks like some things are different tho)...

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f200/o...nstall-214399/

Old 11-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Ya I've seen that. Thought if you got the console you woulda seen how they mount. Or was it already pulled?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:41 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

The eyeball light lens have what looks to be a cross in them, you can take a dime and give them an unscrew and the lens comes out. They take a 194 bulb.

The info center I been meaning to try out for some time but aint been able to get one that works out of the yard I go to that has good prices. The other yard wants $50 for just that part and extra if I need the wires. I told that yahoo for 50 I outta get the whole overhead console.

On mine the rear part I just used two short screws into the roof brace. The front has a fancy brace welded to the roof if you were lucky enough to have the console from the factory. I was able to get my console and the mount and used a big piece of hardboard (2'x2') shoved above the headliner and screw the factory mount to. It fit fine and doesn't sag the headliner at all.

Last edited by neo71665; 11-05-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Beginning Member

Ya I've seen that. Thought if you got the console you woulda seen how they mount. Or was it already pulled?
I pulled the console myself at the yard.. my stock light screws are like 1-2" inch apart. The rear console screws are like 5-6" apart. They are both at the same distance from the front. Im probably gonna do the wood thing - front and back.

The eyeball light lens have what looks to be a cross in them, you can take a dime and give them an unscrew and the lens comes out. They take a 194 bulb.
Thanx..

On a simular note, It appears that I got the DIC with the trip info (which I cannot use in a 89).. Will the unit still work for Temp/Compass without the Yellow(9) wire hooked up to anything?? Is there anyway to took this up with an OBD-I vehicle??

Last edited by loomdog32; 11-05-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:26 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Don't know if it'll work with the wire unhooked but I'm sure the OBD1 doesn't supply the info for it.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Beginning Member

I was 99% sure that OBD-I didnt supply the needed info.. A VSS isnt an issue, as Ill need that for the GPS as well...

I guess I can test it out with power and find out..

Old 11-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Beginning Member

I got the overhead all wired up, minus the VSS.. The unit turns on and displays.. I get "--" for temp currently.. I also need to rerun the cable that goes to the engine compartment for the air temp (I just ran a temp cable to check the unit)....

I figured out the mount points.. The stock overhead light screw holes are 2" apart. The overhead screw holes are 4" apart. I drilled new holes and am going to use the stock screw locations. There is a hole 1" past where the front screw hole needs to be.. Im going to epoxy a piece of wood and screw into that in the front.

Ill try to get some pics tomorrow...

Last edited by loomdog32; 11-20-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:25 PM
drummerdude is on a distinguished road

I just snagged a very basic OC out of another blazer that I want to wire up into mine, that only had the dome light. I read about the mounting points, by the dome light, seems like an easy fix, what about the front end? Also, since mine doesnt have any computer stuff, only lights, can I plug in where the factory dome light is? Do I need to splice in? Or do I need to run extra wires all together?

Quick Reply: Project - Overhead Console w DIC First Gen S