Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Re-painting Rear Window Trim

Old 11-03-2009, 11:37 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road
Default Re-painting Rear Window Trim

Here in the next couple of days, hopefully tomorrow, I will be repainting the rear window trim on my truck. I'm sure most of you 2nd Gen guys (particularly 2 door trucks) have or need to repaint the annoying black trim around the back windows. I'm not a body guy at all...

A quick search "painting rear window trim" did not reveal what I was hoping..

My question: What do you body guys recommend I do for prepping? I know I'm going to sand it down real good. Do I use a coarse sand paper and work my way to a very fine sandpaper? After I sand them down, I will be priming them.. How many coats of primer should I apply?

I'm thinking I will
1 sand
2prime
3re-sand (w very fine paper)
4prime again
5paint
Thanks guys

Old 11-04-2009, 07:43 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

step 3: I suggest wet sanding with 500 wet sanding papeer (500-1000) to get rid of any bumps, works great

Old 11-04-2009, 10:18 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Wet sanding is always a good idea. I'm not sure I would use that coarse a sand paper on that trim either. If yours is in any kind if condition that mine in is there wouldn't be much left after a coarse sand paper. It would all turn to dust lol.
Can't wait to see it done though. I think they look really sharp when they're painted.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:40 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

X3 on the wet sanding!! I wet sanded mine but havent primed them yet. I`m waiting till spring.. I used 600 wet and it worked perfectly, i`m gonna be priming them with etching primer and then using dupli-color indigo blue on them to match the truck..

Old 11-04-2009, 11:06 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Be sure to use a really good primer too. Never underestimate the power of a really good primer.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:11 AM

Sweet guys! So I should wetsand on the initial sanding and the 2nd round?

Also, I have a dilemma... I like the sound of painting the trim the body color, but I also like traditional black. Opinions?

Old 11-04-2009, 11:15 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by okvortec
Sweet guys! So I should wetsand on the initial sanding and the 2nd round?

Also, I have a dilemma... I like the sound of painting the trim the body color, but I also like traditional black. Opinions?
I'd wet sand both times for the best finish. You can't really go wrong with wet sanding.
And go body color FTW. Black would just make it look stock. I think the body color trim looks amazing (take a look at blazerguy22's ride)

Old 11-04-2009, 11:18 AM

I like the looks of it too, but I'm worried that it will be hard to get an exact match with my metallic pewter paint (seeing as how GM has about 500 shades of tan/pewter), but what the hay, I can always go black if I don't like the looks, right?

Old 11-04-2009, 12:11 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

"what the hay" haha that's good XD

Old 11-04-2009, 12:50 PM
BF Veteran

Yeah, color matching is a PITA. Thats why I never body colored anything on my ride yet (that and I plan on going black eventually lol). Just make sure you get the right color. The paint code should be on the drivers door.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Re-painting Rear Window Trim