Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

rear cargo area carpet install

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 10:51 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default rear cargo area carpet install

Hi all,

I managed to spill about a half a quart of used motor oil in the back of blazer and so along that and that there has been previous damage to it, I'm looking at installing replacement carpet.

Looking around it appears that all of the online vendors get their carpet from ACC (Auto Custom Carpets).

With regard to changing out the rear cargo area carpet, do any of you have any advice? It seems like a pretty straight-forward operation but I thought I might as well ask the forum-mind.

Christine

The mess due to the oil and the previous damage from the PO.

Where the oil leaked out; I think near the seatbelt anchor point.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:31 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Gotta pull the plastic inside quarter trims, the ones that go up and around the windows. That's the most time consuming part... Remove the rear seats along with the spring loaded flaps that close over the gap when the seats are folded down, and the rear cargo area carpet separates from the front carpet section there at the rear seats. Along with the very rear most plastic trim that goes from left to right, and the bolted down cargo hook loops, that's pretty much it.

It's not too difficult at all, just time consuming...

I personally would probably check a junk yard before just ordering a new carpet.

I haven't had the rear carpet section out of my Blazer yet, but I have changed the front out when I put a bench seat in it for a little while. Got rid of the center console with the bench seat, so I had to do something about the giant hole that was left in the carpet between the seats lol.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:48 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
Gotta pull the plastic inside quarter trims, the ones that go up and around the windows. That's the most time consuming part... Remove the rear seats along with the spring loaded flaps that close over the gap when the seats are folded down, and the rear cargo area carpet separates from the front carpet section there at the rear seats. Along with the very rear most plastic trim that goes from left to right, and the bolted down cargo hook loops, that's pretty much it.

It's not too difficult at all, just time consuming...

I personally would probably check a junk yard before just ordering a new carpet.

I haven't had the rear carpet section out of my Blazer yet, but I have changed the front out when I put a bench seat in it for a little while. Got rid of the center console with the bench seat, so I had to do something about the giant hole that was left in the carpet between the seats lol.
Thanks. This is helpful and your description is about what I expected.

I'll look into the wrecking yard option but it is looking like I could get the rear cargo area carpet for about $200 delivered. With few wrecking yards near by, getting new delivered is looking like a possibility for me.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:33 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

If the sidewall carpet is still in good shape you may cut out the floor, then cut the new carpet 2-3 inches up the sidewalls. Couple holes along the overlapping with proper rust prevention. A piece of aluminium profile just behind the rear seats and hold it down with the rear plastic cover.

I've been thinking about such a modification because I want to put a floor-board in with cargo-rails underneath the carpet.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:59 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by error_401
If the sidewall carpet is still in good shape you may cut out the floor, then cut the new carpet 2-3 inches up the sidewalls. Couple holes along the overlapping with proper rust prevention. A piece of aluminium profile just behind the rear seats and hold it down with the rear plastic cover.

I've been thinking about such a modification because I want to put a floor-board in with cargo-rails underneath the carpet.
This is anothet good idea. Perhsps I have an opportunity to install a useful modification.

Thanks

Old 06-24-2020, 09:54 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I have had so many spills in the back of mine, mostly when hunting, that I have just thrown a heavy duty blanket to cover the whole thing. Thankfully, my Blazer is no longer my daily drive but is now my dedicated hunting/fishing/off road vehicle.

That is what I bought for 20 years ago and now it has happened...lol

Old 06-25-2020, 04:35 AM
Starting Member
jimmy_for_ever is on a distinguished road

Exactly what I want to do for mine cargo carpet was completely melted because of gasoline spills on it. But when I want to know how to remove it by picture I couldn't find in any sites.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:28 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by jimmy_for_ever
Exactly what I want to do for mine cargo carpet was completely melted because of gasoline spills on it. But when I want to know how to remove it by picture I couldn't find in any sites.
I have the GM service manual with instructions but i'll be sure to take pictures and post a write-up here.

At the moment i'm waiting for samples so to confirm the colors.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:26 PM
BF Veteran

I thought I'd give an update.

I discovered that all of the online automotive carpet vendors get their carpet from Auto Custom Carpets. Their stock colors are close but do not quite match the color of the original carpets. It wouldn't be a problem if I was replacing all of the carpet because then it would all be the same color. But to replace just the back means I'd like to match the new to the old best I could.

Oh, and I know I could be accused of being overly picky! LOL

Today I sent an email to one of the larger wrecking yards in the area to see what they may have from an old Blazer. I also an now considering making or purchasing a mat to go over it.

The pictures are of the sample placed at the rear end of the cargo area. The original color of the carpet would the part that had been covered by the sill piece.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:21 AM
Starting Member
bravo99 is on a distinguished road

I vote the left one charcoal.