Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Rear top removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Hunter89 is on a distinguished road
Default Rear top removal

I'm trying to remove the top of my 89 K5 Blazer for the first time. I've removed all of the bolts on the inside, but I can't get the top to come off. The front half of the top is lifting up and separating from the body. The back part of the top won't budge. Are there additional bolts that I'm unaware of?

Just wanted to ask before I start trying to use a wedge or something to break the seal.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure that you have all of the bed rail bolts out. That should be it.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:16 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Just make sure that you have all of the bed rail bolts out. That should be it.

Maybe different on mine but there are two "hidden" top bolts at the rear of the top. Rear attaching screws for interior trim need to be removed to gain access to said bolt. Visually verified. They are all the way at the back and bolt into the top from underneath the bed rail.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

They are on mine as well, but without trim... LOL

Old 05-08-2009, 07:31 AM

All my trim is out for the panel replacement. Makes it easy to verify!...LOL.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Starting Member
AllEiz0nMe is on a distinguished road

while on the top removal subject...don't you also have to replace the seal every time you take the top off?

Old 05-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Administrator

You should not have to so long as it is not damaged. If it is damaged, then yes.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:00 AM

I would bet on our older trucks the first removal will be the last for said seal. Have yet to test that theory yet though....darn rain!

Old 05-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Starting Member
AllEiz0nMe is on a distinguished road

I know if and when we do take the top off of ours that the seal will have to be replaced. It leaks on both sides right by where the ashtrays are. But we're planning on taking it off this summer when we get out to wharton.
Edit:
I'm not sure if your top is the same oisin but ours has the seatbelts mounted to the roof. What the frig do you do with them once the top is off? Or are you just not supposed to have people back there with the top off?

Last edited by AllEiz0nMe; 05-08-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Administrator

I will be removing mine in a few more weeks after which every gasket/seal will be replaced on the top before putting it back on.

Quick Reply: Rear top removal