Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Removal of rear upper hatch/panel by light

Old 02-18-2011, 03:53 PM
ladyharley is on a distinguished road
Question Removal of rear upper hatch/panel by light

Sorry I posted this in the wrong area I think this is the right one...

Can anyone offer an easy way to remove the plastic molding that has the light attached on the rear hatch? The windshield wiper hose is located under this panel and when using the wiper wash for the rear wiper, it leaks from the panel. I can see the hose but don't want to break the panel to get underneath to replace the hose.

Thanks..

Old 02-18-2011, 11:29 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

I'm assuming you have the lift gate where the whole hatch lifts up? My truck is a little different but the upper trim panel is held on with some metal clips (all panels in the truck are held on the same way actually) and you simply need to pry near the clip to unseat them. My washer fluid hose is run through the bottom and up into the tailgate and that panel just pops off as well.

I've outlined some of the holes where it clips into in the picture below. Keep in mind that my truck has the drop down tailgate and only the glass goes up so the rear trim panels on mine may be different than yours. If you're referring to a panel on the hatch/gate itself, then I can't help much.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:11 AM

Thanks...I basically knew what you posted. Can you tell me which direction to pop the clips? Inward toward the body or outward? Thank you again.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:39 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

you can just pull them straight down after you get your fingers in behind the panel.

the whole panel actually coes off quite easily once the first one comes off.

just be sure to line them up carefully when you install it. it's easy to have them go sidewys and bend.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:52 PM

Great... I slipped the tool in and gently pulled down and saw the clips, and it was easier with a visual to just pop it down where all the clips were located.. fixed the tube and works perfect! Thank you