Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Removing Badges and Trim.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:10 AM
NotoriousBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Removing Badges and Trim.

Hey all, First post here.

I'm thinking of removing the badges on the tailgate, and plastic side trim on the blazer this weekend. I was planning on using my heat gun to remove them, is this a good idea? The only thing that worries me is the paint under the badges and trim will look different then the rest of the car, would that be the case? Does anyone have other tips? Thanks.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:35 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Removing Badges and Trim.

Hows the condition of you paint ? Any oxidation ?

Old 03-30-2007, 04:06 PM
NotoriousBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: TheBrettster

Hows the condition of you paint ? Any oxidation ?

Nope.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:39 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

I took the roof rack off mine and there was a line around them that had been cut into the paint from the rack sitting there for so long. I don't know if that would be the case with the trim and badgesor not, but the trim is held on by 3m tape or similar and will leave a hard to remove residue.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point

i took the dam dealer badge off of mine, left a bunch of sticky crap, that i had to sand down, during this i ended up just getting into the primer, so i have to repaint that section, i actualy have all of the paint and equitment on hand and i still havent done it, i love painting but i HATE prep, wich is like 90% of the job.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you have adhesive left on the paint, get some Goo-Gone (Walmart, etc) and use that to soften the adhesive and remove it. Follow that up with some high concentration Dawn dish soap and water, and finally wash the entire truck down and wax it all real good.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:42 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

totally use the goo gone, i dont think sanding is a good idea! [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 03-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point

i tried the other stuff it didnt work, and i had just finished fixing my door, some one tried to break into it with a screwdriver, when the previous guy had it, so i had to do some body work and paint it from scratch ne way, so while i was at it i took that badge off, i have everything i need to do that kind of work so its fine for me, but yea try the goo gone first for sure.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:44 AM
JST4SHO is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah heat gun and some leather gloves, gets a little hot. Be sure not to just heat the area like crazy at first, gradually build up the heat and get some plastic razor blades to get the emblem started of. Oh and if you planed on saving the emblems, forget it they will be destroyed. Also, if you use goo gone or similar be sure to wash and wax are good after your done, I like NXT or 3M Perfect -Show Car Paste Wax!!! Which is the best I think for a wet, shiny durable look.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:06 PM
4low4lyfe is an unknown quantity at this point

if you use goo gone use the automotive formula not the original, it will eat away your paint quicker than you can wipe it off, trust me i know from experience. if you do use the original formula dont rub hard and take it off quick..

Quick Reply: Removing Badges and Trim.