Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Removing carpet padding & deadening

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 12:29 PM
Beginning Member
freddythunder is on a distinguished road
Default Removing carpet padding & deadening

Hello,
I recently got a 91 Blazer to restore. The carpet is shot and smells like something died on it so I'm in the process of removing it. My goal is to remove all the cartpet and put Herculiner all the way from the pedals to the tailgate. I'd also like to drill some holes in the lowest spots so that when I go camping and get it all muddy, I can simply spray the whole thing out. (Also replacing seats with $35 polyethylene seats and the wife is making padded covers)

The carpet in the back seat area is just kind of laying there so it's easy to remove, but the mat underneath is really stuck to the metal. I've been scraping it with some plastic paint scrapers and it's working; it's just a lot of work. Some of it is really think and almost baked on. A coworker suggested using a wire brush attachment on a drill which would be fine as long as it doesn't go down to bare metal - I will need it scratched up for the Herculiner. Do you have any ideas how to get it off easier?

And then there's the existing deadening mat. I didn't know what that was until I found this post here which explained it. I can get a corner up and can peel, but it is really hard to pull it up. I have some acetone to try, and some goo-b-gone but I don't think that'll do it. Do you have any ideas on this as well?

Thanks!

Last edited by freddythunder; 09-21-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:06 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Acetone, mineral spirits, solvent of any kind is what I would start with.

Originally Posted by freddythunder
A coworker suggested using a wire brush attachment on a drill which would be fine as long as it doesn't go down to bare metal - I will need it scratched up for the Herculiner.
Why don't you want to grind it off? Don't you apply the Herculiner to the bare, roughed up metal?

Old 09-21-2018, 02:18 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Heat gun and scrapper?

Old 09-21-2018, 02:40 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the advice. I mentioned using a wire-brush attachment on a drill - you're right I will have to rough it up.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:13 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Just make sure all the solvents are dry before you use a wire brush / angle grinder....

I like the floor drain idea. I've seen that in a Honda Element before.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:55 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for that! I didn't think of that at all. I did use some acetone today to see how much it eats through things. Worked great! Ate through the padding, the adhesive on the deadening pad, and the fingers of my cheap glove! I think I will wire brush it all first and then acetone after, but I didn't even think of the fire hazard!!

I love the drains idea. I think it will make quick work of cleaning. I plan on 3d printing some drain plugs so when I lose the plugs, I can just print out new ones. I'll even print the word "drain" on them so I'm not making future mysteries.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:50 PM
Beginning Member

Update: So it looks like the wire brush drill attachment just shredded the mat a little bit but didn't do much for ripping it free from the body. The heat gun would probably work well, but I don't have one. I considered using the wife's hair dryer, but I know better. What wound up working the best was a razor blade scrapper, some gloves and a whole lot of patience. I was able to get about 20% of the passenger side deadening pad with a 1" scrapper, but the razor blade worked much better and got me to about 90% - about 2mm at at time.

This is the driver side deadening pad. I need to take the driver seat back out to get the good angle and slip that razor underneath the last of that stinky mat.

This is the 90% on the passenger side. Pretty excited to get all the old crap out of there.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:55 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I love how clean that floor is! I dont see one hole.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:51 PM
Beginning Member

Definitely and AZ truck! I saw this video right after I bought mine. When they pulled back the carpet there was a lot of rust on the floor and that shelf-like section where the bed starts. I never thought to look there for rust. I ran outside to check under the carpet. I got real lucky, there's nothing more than some surface rust in a few spots inside that look to be caused by some chemicals that ate the paint away in the bed. Easy fixes. Here's a screenshot if you don't want to watch that video; there's a ton of commercials:

Old 10-08-2018, 11:22 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

For things such as you are doing I take one of my wooden handled putty knives and sharpen it on my bench grinder, most will take a razor edge and that edge stays for quite a while, makes a good gasket scraper too.

Quick Reply: Removing carpet padding & deadening