Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Removing the Trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 03:37 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough
Default Removing the Trim

I'm removing my trim, but gotta question or two.

.1 the front bumper trim, looks like if you take the trim off, there won't be anything for the air-dam (the bottom part of the bumper with the tow hooks) won't have anything to connect to.

.2 The rear bumper trim is screwed on, do I gotta take off the near bumper to get to it? Because you can't reach it from under.

.3 What is the best way to remove the trim without scratching the paint? I got the rear-driver-side-door trim off and got a few scratches from the screwdriver I used.

Thanks a lot! So far it's looking a lot better.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:27 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

use fishing line for door trim along with googone. if you have the bumper where the impact strip holds the bumper cover on you cant remove it. I'm not sure what you mean by rear bumper trim.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:45 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Alright, thanks. How do I tell about the front bumper trim, it's hard to tell if it's a middle piece conntecting top/bottom, or just a cover like the rest.

On the rear, very rear, the trim is held on with a bolt, and you can't reach that bolt. Do I have to take the left-side bumper piece off?

Old 09-11-2009, 08:00 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Don't remove the bumper trim. It's not meant to be removed.
As for the door trim, it's very easy. Use a heat gun and heat it up really good (melts the glue and prevents damage to the paint). Use fishing line as mentioned above to remove the trim. The leftover glue can be removed with some googone, heat and some good scrubbing. Don't use anything sharp and I'd recommend using a soft towel or cloth to scrub off the glue. Have some time set aside to do it, because it can take a while to get all the glue off. My badges took about a few hours alone and my Blazer didn't have trim with the badges.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:17 AM
BF Veteran

Aw man! The whole reason I did this was to get rid of the front trim. *cries*

Anyway I have good 3M sticker adhesive remover, works like a charm.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:33 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

The bumper trim is on all Blazers..even the 98+ ones.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

if you want to do what i did ( and do it right), your looking at a lot of hours of work and at least a couple hundred dollars.

new front bumper, new front bumper ends, new rear bumper ends. all these pieces will leave holes if you just pull the trim off.

side trim comes off best with a heat gun and some patience. wipe up with goo gone or similar.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:05 PM
BF Veteran

So the bumper parts you got didn't have trim? yeah I cant afford that right now, and what's to say the black paint I'd paint it would match you know? lol

Old 09-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Deezy Steez is on a distinguished road

i'm in the same boat with my 98 ls, ive removed the door trims and wheelwell moldings but it'd be nice if i could scrap the moldings on the rear bumper ends as well. ive been thinking about just plugging the holes with plastic plugs and painting them to match the truck seeing as the bumper is plastic and wont rust, as for the front impact strip i think we're **** outa luck, but ive been flirting with the idea of painting mine once again to match the truck

Old 09-22-2009, 07:12 AM
BF Veteran

yeah it stinks. My sister thinks I should paint the chrome black. If I do that I might as well paint all the trim black.

Quick Reply: Removing the Trim