Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

? On removing ZR2 fender flares

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 03:52 PM
420Blazin4X4 is on a distinguished road
Default ? On removing ZR2 fender flares

I found a guy willing to sell me his fender flares...Only catch is I have to pay him up front and then I have to remove them...He wont do removal out of fear of breaking them...
Anyone got a heads up on how these remove...So I have a clue before I go attempt this...I`d hate to pay him and screw something up in the process...

Appreciate any help..Thanks guys...

Old 10-02-2012, 04:30 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

arnt they just screwed to the underside of the wheel wells?

Old 10-02-2012, 04:39 PM

I was told riveted but that they are also attached to some kind of track mounting system on the outside of fender as well as 3 mil taped? But Im unsure..

Old 10-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

Front is easier to just take the whole fender if it's the right colour. But to remove the flares, you need to take the fenders off the truck then there are the screws in the wheel wells and nuts within the fender you access through the hole in the inner fender structure.

The rears have the nuts just within the wheel well and are easily to get at. The problem with removing them are that the bolts get corroded and you generally end up breaking the bolts while trying to remove the nuts.

I have heard of people reparing the broken bolts afterwards but I'm not sure how they repair them.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:36 PM

Okay cool deal...Yeah the guys ZR2 is black and is a match...Only down side is his drivers side fender has a nice sized crease in the front corner where the lights mount or I would just take the fenders also...Sadly he doesn't have the bumperette pieces either...I may just ask him how much he wants for the front fenders also with them..I will have to see...
Thanks for the help...well if it comes down to it..I can always replace the hardware in the end...

Old 10-02-2012, 05:38 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

There is a bracket behind the flare. If you look at the how to i did on installing them you will see how i replaced the rivets and what the whole thing looks like. I was lucky mine were already off.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:51 PM

Thanks warthog I do remember the brackets from the 100`s of times I have read your how to from beginning to end lol...

Old 10-02-2012, 06:17 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Glad to hear your gonna use it. It really wasnt to bad to do. Just is hard to start cutting things off a perfectly good body panel.
hey if you ever wann meet up i am around saginaw alot....might help to see them in person.

Last edited by warthogdriver; 10-02-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:41 PM

Think I may see what the guy wants for his front fenders at the same time...even though the front drivers side has a crease in it.. After all if I can get them at the right price...Would be easier to deal with on the front end..and can always fix the crease or buy a new ZR2 fender... Its cutting up the back fenders that have me worried...
Even if I do grab the parts..They wont get installed till spring..Need the irocs with bigger tires on there first.... That and I have to try to get this tire swing done and installed first before we get our crappy winter weather... meeting up at some point would be cool man...Would like to check out your ride and get an opportunity to actually meet you in person..

Old 10-02-2012, 06:50 PM
BF Veteran

Yeah...thats a nice laundry list of mods you have planned.
Should look good on your ride.
Yeah when ya wanta meet up pm me. Sure can fig something out.
I wish i had a hood like yours though...its on my wish list.

Quick Reply: ? On removing ZR2 fender flares