Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Rocker panel repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 05:28 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rocker panel repair

hey guys, looking for suggestions on a quick fix for holes in my rocker panels.

need to go for a safety soon so i have to get this done very soon.
My dad figures they wont notice or say anything as long as they dont see the rust or holes.

So, this was my initial idea, but 1st pictures!

so anyway plan is to get expanding foam and either bondo or long strand fiberglass filler to smooth it out, then primer and a rubberized coating(rocker gaurd, bed liner) and do a black strip along the bottom and inside lip.

any suggestions? think the fiberglass filler will stick? i know its alot stronger than bondo....

Old 06-20-2010, 09:57 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure on the fiberglass, never worked with it. What about using some fiber patches and doing it that way? That may stick better than the fabric and liquid mixture. If I don't know what I'm talking about, my apoligies.

What I did on mine to get me through till next year is expanding foam on the inside. Scuffed up the rockers to metal and layed about 5 layers of metal/foil tape. Then sprayed that thin areasol primer stuff when the foam hardend. Scuffed it lightly and painted black. Done this back in febuary and 4 almost 5 monthes later it looks fine. The primer is showing where some of the black paint flacked off, but I can fix that with a touch up here soon.

Didn't do too bad considering it was my first time doing redneck body work. Or any body work for that matter. But check it from time to time, cause you want it to stay water tight. If water gets in there and wets that foam it could be bad.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road

Yes fiberglass filler will stick and work well just use long strand

Old 06-20-2010, 10:36 PM
BF Veteran

ya, i found some stuff called great foam i think, claims its water tight and water resistent and cures "rigid"

I have over a years worth of experience working with fiberglass reinforced pipe (FRP) so laying mat shouldnt be a problem for me if its worth the extra work......but the question is how well does it bond to metal? and it would have to be bare metal i assume, which is a s*** load of sanding lol

think ill try the great stuff some long strand filler and rocker guard unless someone says i shouldnt.

any advice on sanding? the metal is REALLY thin around the hole

should i cut out the rust around the hole or just leave it?

I'll also try use compressed air to blow out as many flakes as possible....

thanks for the comments guys

Old 06-27-2010, 01:13 PM
BF Veteran

so, bit of an update, got both corners sprayed with the rocker guard, but i layed one side on pretty thick and now it wont harden! its not sticky or anything, but its soft and i could push it in with my finger......is it supposed to be like that? or am i going to have to try sand it off and re-spray it?

on a side note, i just finished the pcb repair for the "mind of their own" wiper blades and it worked great! many contacts were cracked and one looked burnt, i totally recommend trying it if you have the same problem, very easy fix.