Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Running New Power Seat Wires (1997)

Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Beginning Member
iamthesargent has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default Running New Power Seat Wires (1997)

Hello everyone,

I currently need some help figuring out how to install power seats into my 1997 Blazer. The Blazer came factory with manual cloth seats, and there is not any sort of connector underneath the carpet for power seats.

My main question is, where can I tap a power source from to power both the driver and passenger seats? I do have all the necessary connections needed to wire it up, but without a power source, I am stuck.

Any help is appreciated (Especially if anyone has any sort of wiring diagrams!).

Thanks,
Darren

Old 02-18-2013, 11:22 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

did you check to see if there is a dedicated fuse in the fuse box? i cant remember if there is one or not. the last time i dealt with a power seat issue was in my 95 like 2-3 years ago so i just cant recall.
if there is a spot for it in the fuse box then you should be able to run the wires from there and then that way you would have a fuse in it so if something gets rubbed and goes to ground it wont burn your truck too.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Beginning Member

I know there is a 15 amp fuse in the power accessory slot. Is this what i should tap into?

Old 02-19-2013, 11:58 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

That's strange that you don't already have wires ran.. But in my 97 when i put 98+ seats in, they had one main 12 gauge wire (i think 12 anyways) Running back and split it before the drivers seat then ran to both seats. I don't remember where the power wire stats tho. I have a thread on it, but i don't think i have where the wires start because mine were already there.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Beginning Member

I'll add some pictures. I am 80% sure there are not any wires. I at least did not find any connectors under the driver side carpet. There is definitely not a connector on the passenger side.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

I went looking in my 96 and couldn't find anything under the floor.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Beginning Member

I cross referenced the main wiring harness that powers the interior of the vehicle, and found there are four orange wires (one of which branches out into 3 separate wires. This has to be the one for the PS.) My harness only has 3. So, now im at a cross roads. Should I run new wire, or replace the whole harness with the donor? I really don't want to replace the whole thing due to having to rip out most of the interior.

Ill post pictures as soon as i get a chance.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

I was just at the wrecker(needed other parts) and the 96 LT Blazer with power seats had 2 plugs(orange/black wires) coming from the main harness running under the drivers seat. The wires went into the harness approx 6" behind the heater vent under the seat. The LS at the wreckers still had the seats in so i couldn't compare.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Beginning Member

Hmm...I am beginning to think that the LT trim has the power seat wires reinstalled regardless, and LS does not. Can anyone else help prove/disprove this?

Heres what I have for sure,
1996 4 door Blazer LT with power seats installed (Obviously going to have the wire)
1997 4 door Blazer LS with Manual Seats installed, No power wires.

I am on a hunch here, and if all goes well, I may finally contribute a tutorial on how to add wires to non power seated blazers. Wish me luck!

Old 02-21-2013, 11:10 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, I found a way to add factory wires to the interior harness that does not have it. Underneath the dash, the connector that connects the interior harness to the fuse box has four orange wires coming from the dash, but stops at said connector. Its just a matter of plugging everything in (and finding a suitable ground) and it will work fine and will be protected by the fuse that is next to the power window circuit breaker (power accessory fuse i believe).

I may add a new thread and give a full tutorial on it if there is a good amount of people who want it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Running New Power Seat Wires (1997)