Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Rust Converter on the Frame

Old 10-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Rust Converter on the Frame

Hey all!

I have seen in another thread here someone putting rust converter on their tow hooks to treat rust. I was wondering if that could be taken a step further. You see, here in MD, we have more salt than we know what to do with, so they decided each winter to put it on the roads in an evil attempt to keep everyone in new cars. (This has banished quite a few B2000's to the junk yard here!)
I was wondering if I could prevent frame rust by frequently applying rust converter to the undercarriage of my Blazer. Anyone else think that might work? I really need this thing to last and the rust is just starting to eat into the metal on the torsion bar and some of the hardware underneath. What does everyone else here do to keep the metal cancer off? Or am I just worrying about it too much? Thanks!

Regards,

Thomas

Old 10-06-2009, 08:52 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

rust converter works great, we use it all the time at my work. i also used it on my silverado to treat the frame rails before it was painted and it hasnt rusted through yet since i do alot of 4 wheeling on the beach (with a ton of salt water) lol

Old 10-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Banned

Thanks for the help and the quick reply! I was thinking it would make a difference. Do I have to paint over the rust converter or just check it every now and then to make sure it has a nice thick coating? Thanks again!

Regards,

Thomas

Old 10-06-2009, 09:49 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

i would add several coats before painting

Old 10-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

The rust converter sounds like a good idea for your already rusty areas. Around me we spray 'spray silicone' on rust prone areas before they get a chance to rust. Seems to work pretty well. If you ever notice cars with oil leaks much of their life dont get rusty...it works well as a rust preventative lol.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Banned

What is "Spray sillicone"? I have only ever run into sillicone in the form of gasket maker here. I have heard of a sillicone based gear lube that is spray on but I have never seen it for sale at a store here.

Yeah I do notice that leaky cars don't rust. I also noticed that cars with a rear main seal leak change their own oil! I wonder if the owner is one of those "Every 20,000 miles whether it needs it or not" people, if an oil leak is actually good for the engine to force them to do it every 15,000 instead!

Old 10-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

I sort of mispoke, its more commonly referred to as "silicone lubricant." Sort of like WD-40. Theres a lot of different companies that make it, comes in an aerosol can, usually stocked near wd-40, brake parts cleaner, carb cleaner, that kind of stuff.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Banned

Just found a can of spray silicone by CRC. That stuff works so well! Doesn't take paint off does it? Thanks for the suggestion! Haven't tried it on the frame yet because I just found a paint I want to try first.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

I used Eastwood rust encapsulator on the rear axle of my Camaro. I didn't top coat it and it's been fine for the last couple years but it's not a winter vehicle. Eastwood sells whole kits that have rust converter, rust encapsulator and a top coat paint. You should only have to do it once and it's supposed to be tough and hold up.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Starting Member
degaine_designs is on a distinguished road

What are rust encapsulator and converter? I'm still relatively new to salted roads. Didn't have much of a rust problem in SoCal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rust Converter on the Frame