Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

rust hole in rear passenger door into wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 04:08 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Yup, pretty much how long you plan on keeping it.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:11 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Or quick fix for now

Old 03-13-2014, 06:13 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

im not even gonna bother getting it welded...this trucks a money pit as of late. ill just do with the bondo, ill post results whenever i finally get the chance or when the weather gives me a chance, would it hurt or help to spray the rustoleum repel overtop of the finished job?

Old 03-13-2014, 06:29 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I would put the expanding foam down, then spray it with a good primer, to seal it off, then bondo over that, then primer, paint/clear. I would not use repel, since the clear coat will take care of that.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by richphotos
I would put the expanding foam down, then spray it with a good primer, to seal it off, then bondo over that, then primer, paint/clear. I would not use repel, since the clear coat will take care of that.
yea after i typed it i thought about the clear haha. on the wheel well side, should i still clear that after i prime it? i was planning on using rustoleum bed liner spray as my paint. or should i paint then spray bedliner?

Old 03-13-2014, 08:18 PM
BF Veteran

For the wheel well, I would do the same process as the door jamb, primer/bondo (if you even want to use bondo on the wheel well) and then put the bed liner over the primer. Clear would not hold up in the wheel well. Needs to be a good rubberized coating. Apply it thick.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:21 PM

i bought this to make bondo-ing a tad bit easier since the hole is a decent size
Bondo Self Adhesive Body Patch: Automotive : Walmart.com
i was gonna use the patches on both the jam and wheel well

i was gonna still bondo the wheel well, then heavily apply the rustoleum bed-liner spray

Old 03-13-2014, 10:22 PM
BF Veteran

I would still bondo the wheel well for an "extra" layer.. but the black/clear coat is not needed as you know. Primer is needed though.

The patch is not really needed if you scuffed up the area that will have bondo real good with like 80-120 grit sand paper, but it will not hurt. it will make it stick up a bit more, but I dont think that will have an effect on how the door closes/weather stripping.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:58 PM

i ended up using this for the wheel well
Duplicolor Undercoat, Black, 16 oz. Aerosol UC101: Shop the best Undercoating & Anti - Rust at Advance Auto Parts

figured it said best for wheel wells and give it a ruberized texture. i was thinking 4 coats. should i do more? i got plenty of it left. was gonna do the rest of the wheel wells with it when it gets nicer out, whenever that may be haha

Old 03-22-2014, 09:12 PM
satajet75 is on a distinguished road
Default rust hole

I wouldn't suggest foam its only a temp fix.If you do make sure you lay down a primer coat.Otherwise just putting on paint to a direct metal will not hold or prevent further rust.I would cut the cancer out and go the right rout.

Quick Reply: rust hole in rear passenger door into wheel well