Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

rusted interior panel help. '91 K5

Old 11-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Beginning Member
trustyrusty is on a distinguished road
Default rusted interior panel help. '91 K5

I just picked up a '91 K5 that has the normal rust areas (rockers and lower quarters) but I also have an area that I cannot find a repair panel for. It is in the rear seat, kick panels, where the front seat belts attach. Does anyone know of a source for repair panels for this area? I would really hate to have to fab that area as I havn't done that level of work in a while and I am very Rusty<<pun intended.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

have you tried LMC yet?

Old 11-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Beginning Member

Yes, they were the first place I looked. I also went to JC Whitney and every site I could find via Google search.
What's odd is that it looks like part of that area is bolted in. I can only "assume" that it was made that way to access the seat belt bolt.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:13 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

have you tried Cross Canada yet?

here's their web site;

www.crosscanadaparts.com

just click on the "guest login" to view the site.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:07 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the link. I checked them out also. They do not carry that panel either.
Looks like the only to get that area as a panel is to buy a complete bedside. Can you say OUCH$$$$$. Guess I will have to make a trip to my local sheet metal supplier and fab them up myself. The floorpans are also rusted in that area but only about 2" from the side. If anyone has a pic of the area behind the carpet it would be helpful, so I can have an idea as to how it is supposed to look.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Beginning Member

here's a pic of the aforementioned area

Attached Thumbnails rusted interior panel help. '91 K5-im001681-1.jpg  
Old 11-26-2009, 11:46 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

my first blazer had holes so big there you could drop a gallon of milk through them. it seems pretty straight there can you just add in flat piece of metal. and have you pulled up your carpet yet to see if the hole is under there too.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:32 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by abig84
have you pulled up your carpet yet to see if the hole is under there too.
No but I've been under it and the floor pans and supports are rusted pretty bad about 3" in from the sides.
All in all, I have many panels to do. Inner & outer rockers, rear cab supports, rear floors, front inner fenders, lower rear quarters(front) complete tail pan, and the aforementioned rear seat kick panels.
But hey, for $750 for a Blazer with only 116k on it I could not turn it away. 4X4's down here in that condition run 2-3 times that price.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:26 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by trustyrusty
4X4's down here in that condition run 2-3 times that price.
sounds like here in north illinois. where you from? my last fullsize i went down to mississippi to get cause im sick of dealing with what your going through

Old 11-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Beginning Member

I'm in Florida, but I bought the truck off a guy who just moved down here from N.Y.
Considering it spent most of it's life up there it is not as bad a I would expect. I had a '74 K10 long bed scottsdale that I bought in VT in 1985(11yrs. old) that was rusted up to the mirrors, and it only took me a week to rebuild the body. It's nice when you can get all the panels at once and fit them in unison.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rusted interior panel help. '91 K5