Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Silverstar

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 03:10 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default Silverstar

I'm buying new bulbs for my blazer because standard halogen sucks.... I am going to buy the Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulbs because I liked them very well in my Ranger. . . The problem is that now (they didn't have them when I previously bought bulbs) they have two different types of Silverstar bulbs (not part numbers I know i need two different part numbers.. 9005 and 9006)!?!? Anyone know the difference between the Silverstar and the Silverstar Ultra? is it enough to be worth the $20 difference?

Old 11-09-2006, 03:31 PM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Silverstar

the ultra's have a more "HID Look" than the regular ones. Basically it seems brighter and will last alittle longer.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:42 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

Is it really that much brighter? I mean $20 worth of brightness?

Old 11-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had both and the ultra do shine brighter, but 20 bucks more??? I wouldn't but here in ohio there only 5 bucks more so thats why I upgraded.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:21 PM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about

Honestly I'm not into those kinda bulbs.

HID is where its at or at least the Plasmaglow HID Look bulbs. I have them and there garuenteed(sp?) for 10 years and there greeeeennnnn lol

Old 11-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

IMO, silverstar's aren't worth the cost period. I have had them on 3 previous vehicles and ALWAYS had them blow in 9months or less. I liked them on my old Intrepid up until winter hit and I couldn't see a damn thing with highs or lows in the snow. The blue tint on the bulb makes them 'seem' whiter, but blue light produces more glare. This makes you 'think' they are brighter than they are.

If you want a very good quality, high output bulb, IMO, PIAA is the only way to go although I see that they no longer carry the clear headlamp bulb... They have since discontinued the bulbs I used in my Intrepid after 2 sets of Silverstar's crapped out on me, but I have only heard good things about their Star White series of headlamp bulbs. The bulbs I had used were just like the star light, but with crystal clear glass.

I plan on getting some H3 Ion Crystal bulbs for my fogs because the current bulbs produce too much glare when driving through snow or fog. It's amazing what amber light does for night driving in fog/snow!

Old 11-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point

one more thing to mention, if its difficult to see at night, get yourself a good pair of bulbs(silverstar, whatever) and then go to painless performance and buy the relay kit that keeps all 4 bulbs on at once instead of shutting down the low beams and turning on the high beams, best 50 bucks I ever spent. the brightness is similar to the light you get when you pull back the turn signal, all 4 are on and are sweet.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that is one feature that I love about my Bonneville. When the highs are on, ALL 4 bulbs are on. GREAT light output. Only thing that needs more umph is the fogs, but I am going to be buying a set of Hella Angel Eye fogs for it probably over the winter. That should take care of the poor light output, plus I'll wire in the angel eyes to be on whenever the parking lights are on.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:01 PM

I ran silverstars in a ranger for two years and loved them...... I think im gonna go with the silverstars and also the wiring harness. . . anywhere else I can get the harness?? BTW will the s-10 pickup kit work on the blazer? stylinconcepts.com says it won't but arent they the exact same headlights, wired exactly the same??

Old 11-10-2006, 12:35 AM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

I have the regular silverstars in my blazer. I actually had them in my old cavalier for about 2 years before swapping them into the blazer when I sent the cavy to the big junkyard in the sky (tear!). I can't tell you how many people tell me to shut off my high beams, and I tell them they are not my high beams. I get high beams flashed at me all the time on the roads at night. They are bright, but then i turn on my ultra white high beams and blind people (hahahaha). I would say if your not willing to spend the extra money, the regular silverstars are good enough. Of course in my state, there aren't many roads with no street lights.

Quick Reply: Silverstar