Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Single Stage vs. 2-Stage Paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 06:19 PM
JeremyG is on a distinguished road
Default Single Stage vs. 2-Stage Paint

Ok, getting quotes on painting the BAB... I've always been stuck on 2-stage but a guy just came by and nearly has me convinced to go single-stage (for cost mainly).

So, what do you guys know about the differences? Assuming both are shot by a reputable shop, what's the difference in look/quality and longevity?

Old 07-05-2010, 08:39 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

I really couldn't tell you the difference but my buddy (certified paint and prep) has single stage on his truck and it looks good! I think it may be more prone to scrapes because he went off-roading and hit a few branches and its got marks but they will buff out!

It looks good when done right. Paint and prep in 2 days and its like a mirrior. Plus if it does get scratched up, Its still less than 2 stage lol.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:10 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I'm wondering also what is the difference in 1 stage and 2 stage?

Old 07-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Beginning Member
Wezo2 is on a distinguished road

The difference between the single and the two stage is the following:
Single Stage: Single Stage is a paint that has pretty much clear coat built inside. Single Stage does fade faster because it does not have built in UV protectors like a Clear Coat but cut polishing can bring back the shine.

Two Stage: Two Stage is where you paint in two stages. You have first stage the base coat which is the color. Then the clear coat which is a clear glossy paint.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:13 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

So technically two stage is more expensive but would be better in the long term because you wouldn't need another paint job as fast?

Old 07-07-2010, 05:14 PM
JeremyG is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, and I've done a TON of research here as well as in other websites...

to answer 84Blazer...not necessarily. A clearcoat that isn't sprayed correctly will peel off, and usually SOONER than a single stage will "wear out".

With a single-stage, you can polish/buff it to a near-perfect shine pretty much "forever" (or until you wear off all the paint). SS also goes on much thicker, so lots of scratches can be wet-sanded out, unlike a clearcoat where if it's thru to the base coat, it's difficult or impossible to fix.

So in summary, what I've found:
SS = more "maintenance" - must keep waxed and will need buffing every year or so to restore shine.
DS = "tougher", ie. won't easily get "spiderweb" scratches from dust, etc.

SS will last longer IF SHOT RIGHT (given equal quality/experience of the painter).

Oh, and SS is ONLY for solid colors, you can't use metallics/pearls.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

A single stage would be fine for a daily driver and can be very glossy. Make sure you go with a urethane paint for the most durability. Only thing is, you can definitly have metallics with a single stage paint. I personally know of multiple trucks with single stage metallic paint

Old 07-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Banned
kickme005 is on a distinguished road

how bout a stage 1 paint and then just do a clear coat. or get the cheapest paint job and do the best cleaaar coat they have?

Old 07-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Beginning Member
Wezo2 is on a distinguished road

They do make single stage in metallics, on the K cars from dodge they where single stage.Putting clear coat over top of Single stage is a waste of money. Single stage cant be as glossy as base clear but if you are gonna take your car off road and bush whack it then single stage would be fine. If your gonna do a single stage metallic then make sure you have a good painter because if he gets a run the metallics will droop and it will be a bitch to polish out and most likely be a re-paint.Single Stage will wear out faster than a Base Clear paint but it can be polished to bring back the luster and shine.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a few urethane systems out there where the color coat can be used as a base or single stage. Summit's urethane is like that. The clear coat can be sprayed on if desired, but it is not necessary.

If you are going to go with a 2 stage system, it is generally better to spend more on a better clear coat. It is better to have a mediocre base coat and a better clear coat, instead of a stellar base coat and a crappy clear coat.

Quick Reply: Single Stage vs. 2-Stage Paint