Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

slots on rear of 01 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Beginning Member
bigbeast is on a distinguished road
Default slots on rear of 01 blazer

on the back of my 01 Blazer, there are 2 rectangular slots on each side where the rear glass is.

What are these for?
Can I seal them up?

I have a HIGH power stereo system, and these slots / ports seem to be a source of a lot of noise. So I was hoping to seal them up when i bondo the degrading plastic around that area and re-paint those "rear cowls" or whatever they may be. Just kinda wondering what they are for, and where they actually go to on the inside of the truck? if at all, or are they routed to an outer opening up front somewhere? and If they are needed to be left open for some reason? or can i fill them?

Old 08-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

They are vents that allow pressure to vent when you close the doors. Most people seal them up when they get serious with subs/etc.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Banned
kickme005 is on a distinguished road

dont seal because if they put the vent there it there for a reason.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kickme005
dont seal because if they put the vent there it there for a reason.
LMAO!! Nice deduction skillz!

Old 08-20-2010, 04:33 AM
Beginning Member

Actually, further research on other sites determines that this hole / vent is only there to release some pressure when you close your doors, and is a common problem in Blazers with big bumpin stereo systems, and it is quite common for people to seal them up, and will not hurt the vehicle at all, so deductively speaking, if there is no where for the air to vent when you close your doors, it will then just vent out the sides of the rear glass, or side vent glass, as they both flex, and will allow air to escape, i mean, looking at the rear glass, when you only have one latch in the middle of a 6 ft window / door, the corners will flex, deductively speaking, so deductively speaking, if I am a straight married man with a dog, and you have no dog, does that mean you are gay?

Old 08-20-2010, 06:23 AM
Administrator

What I said.
Originally Posted by swartlkk
They are vents that allow pressure to vent when you close the doors. Most people seal them up when they get serious with subs/etc.
I wouldn't steer you wrong!

And the pressure can also vent through the HVAC ducts. Nothing to really worry about.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned
djerock is on a distinguished road

I got a friend that put his led tail lights there ill get a pic soon and post it up...I think it looks good

Old 08-21-2010, 06:41 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by djerock
I got a friend that put his led tail lights there ill get a pic soon and post it up...I think it looks good
I'd like to see that as I've been contemplating moving the tail lights up there (LED's) & maybe even the brake lights.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Beginning Member

heck yea, i would like to see that, if i put any lights up in there, they would be strobes tied in with my front strobes probably

also, would you reccomend fiberglass? I would think for the best strength, but harder to work with, or, probably not regular old bondo, as i would imagine that would just rattle right out...correct? lol

Last edited by rriddle3; 08-22-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 08-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Beginning Member

hey, also, when it comes to resurfacing the whole plastic piece around that back window, which would be best, bondo, or fiberglass resign brushed on? I am thinking just the fiberglass resin brushed on (without the sheets of fiberglass), and much sanding, would be the best for the general re-surfacing of that trim panel around the back glass.

Quick Reply: slots on rear of 01 blazer