Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Stopping power

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 03:59 AM
Starting Member
minijosh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stopping power

Will these rotors really help me out?
JCWhitney - Drilled & Slotted Rotors
I need to upgrade mine soon and I was thinking why not get these rotors with some ceramic pads? Does anyone else know where to get these cheaper or is this a good price?

*EDIT by swartlkk* fixed the long link

Old 08-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Stopping power

You really want to stay away from drilled rotors unless you are willing to spend the money on ones that have CAST in holes, not drilled. Any stock sized rotor will have less braking surface with all of those holes on it and, as a result, will have less braking potential. Not to mention that these drilled holes put a bunch of stress points in the rotor. I have personally witnessed what a drilled rotor looks like when it comes flying apart and suffice to say that it isn't pretty.

So unless you are upgrading to a full aftermarket brake setup like Baer, SSBC, etc I would strongly advise that you stay away from anything drilled.

For the purpose, slots will have much the same benefits as the drilled holes, but because they do not go through into the vented area of the rotor, they typically will not cause the catastrophic failure that drilled rotors often get associated with. And so long as you use good pads, your slots shouldn't clog with braking material. If they clog, you aren't getting the benefit. Also, pad wear will be increased with a slotted rotor as the slots serve to clean the pad surface.

That said, A LOT of braking performance can be had by simply using a good quality pad and rotor.