Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Tailgate struts

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 09:50 PM
Beginning Member
Madson26 is on a distinguished road
Default Tailgate struts

So, this weekend my brother and I installed a tailgate strut on his Ram. Think slow close toilet seat.

I went to look at my BlaZR2, thinking I need that and I already have 2 struts on the dropgate and 2 to lift the glass. I dropped my tailgate and it slams. It has done this since I have owned it. Are mine worn out? If I get a factory replacement will it open slowly? Are there aftermarket options that are a "puller" type instead of the traditional "pusher" type?

Old 04-01-2019, 09:28 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

You can get the dropgate replacement struts from your Chevy dealer, RockAuto, GM Parts Direct, etc.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:34 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Just helped my co worker who has the drop gate on his blazer. Put different tail light housings on, so had to disconnect those struts to get to the lower screw. (I have the lift gate on mine.)
I thought they were there to assist in closing...taking some of the weight off, as opposed to slowing the opening of it.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:20 PM
Beginning Member

That is probably their function. I was just curious if I could get slow opening type like we just put on my brothers tailgate on his truck

Old 04-04-2019, 05:47 PM

Maybe try flipping the struts 180 degrees...

Old 04-04-2019, 07:48 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by N. Jensen
Pretty sure you're kidding, but I don't think that would work, it's a compression vs extension thing

Old 04-04-2019, 08:22 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

You can probably retrofit something, but would be fabricating brackets, welding ... dont think anything plug and play tho...

Old 04-04-2019, 08:24 PM
Beginning Member

Nice!

Originally Posted by N. Jensen

Old 04-22-2019, 06:05 PM
Beginning Member

Just an update, I had a tail light go out and you have to remove the strut to get to the screw. Once I had it off, it was obvious that it was blown. I ordered a pair off eBay and they came in today. And it appears that the stock ones are in fact the "pulling" type. After I replaced them, you can let go of the dropgate and it just slowly opens. No impact in the effort it takes to close. The opposite of the ones that hold up the glass. Just wanted to share, and I'm pretty satisfied for under $14 for the pair, and took longer to make a drink than to replace them. If you want some, make sure they say they are for the dropgate. They are right about 6" closed. 8.25 or so open. Maxpow 135436 0002 is what the seller sent me. Cheers

Old 04-22-2019, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the update.

But are you sure they aren't flipped 180...

Quick Reply: Tailgate struts