Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint, Body, & Interior (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/)
-   -   tinting windows (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/tinting-windows-8061/)

blazer123456789 01-16-2007 12:39 AM

tinting windows

ok well tinting windows not very fun lol i was wondering if any one had any tips on doing a good tint job cause i have done it well tried to do it twice and it is just not working good i keep getting a bubble i cant get out or a nic and its hard to cut out the tint to be just like the window so if anyone has any tips it would be apperciated

davtak 01-16-2007 12:58 AM

RE: tinting windows

Here's an idea for getting the tint the right size. It's easy and non-expensive. Buy it pre-cut. Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...spagenameZWDVW

There's also 4-door if anybody else is wondering. Pretty much all years are on ebay.

As for getting the bubbles out, follow the directions and take your time and it should come out good. I know people that went too quick and there are bubbles everywhere. It doesn't look that good.

blazer123456789 01-16-2007 01:06 AM

yea i mite try the precut i mite just be a little impactient when it comes to this lol i would hate to mess up the precut ones tho : s

BLK85 01-16-2007 02:53 AM

Pay someone to do it.

davtak 01-16-2007 08:38 PM

There is a tint set that they sell at wal-mart. It has cling spray, a flat edge spreader, and some other stuff. It's pretty simple. Just spray on the cling spray, set the tint in place. Hold it from the top of the window and press the air bubbles out from the center of the window to the outside. Once you get the air bubbles out, it will hold. Even if you mess up and it's not lined up, you can peel it off and try again before it dries. You would be saving yourself a good amount of money doing it yourself. I'm impatient too, but it's not too hard.

blazer123456789 01-16-2007 10:34 PM

yea i think im ganna give it anouther shot but now it is to cold we were getting some good weather it went from 65 to 20 degress in one day lol and i cant pay anyone to do it cus no one does it i live in garrett county md and it has like nothing for customizing cars at all.... advanced auto parts store thats it

davtak 01-16-2007 11:18 PM

Tell me about it. I'm in CT. Today it was about 25. We had that one day a couple of weeks ago when it went over 70. A week later, it was almost freezing. Go on mapqust, click on where it says business, and search for tinting, or car tinting, or anything you can think of that has to do with custom car work. That's if you want to go that way. Cold weather sucks. There's stuff I want to do too, but I have to wait till spring.

splat 01-28-2007 12:53 AM

Which window are you trying to tint?
You do not want pre-cut tint, it sucks.
For the back window and some side windows, you'll need to heat shrink the tint with a heatgun and some baby powder.
Spread a little bit of baby powder on the window, and put the tint on the outside of the window. Take a wet paper towel, and run a line horizontally across the middle of the window with it. So the tint sticks in place. Then take the heatgun and heat up the tint. (this will only work on the top and bottom as the side-ends of the tint will not shrink.)
Keep doing this until the tint is formed good. Then take a trouble light and place it on the inside of the window, and trim 1/4-1/2 an inch biggeraround the window.
If you need anymore pointers, let me know.
I tint windows for a living BTW, if you couldn't already tell. lol

lastcoupe 01-28-2007 01:35 AM

I suggest just taking it to a pro and paying the 150.00. Not just to save the headache of doing it, but to have it done right and you will also get a lifetime gaurantee for all of the problems that can occur (peeling,bubbling, cracking etc.) A very small price to pay if you figure the amount you will spend on the matterials and tools (let alone time) that you willneed just to screw it up yourself (no offense).

1996BZR 01-28-2007 02:30 AM

It cost me $55 overallfor both the front windows to be tinted. So that's like$27.50 a window. Might as well take it somewhere.

splat 01-28-2007 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: lastcoupe

I suggest just taking it to a pro and paying the 150.00. Not just to save the headache of doing it, but to have it done right and you will also get a lifetime gaurantee for all of the problems that can occur (peeling,bubbling, cracking etc.) A very small price to pay if you figure the amount you will spend on the matterials and tools (let alone time) that you willneed just to screw it up yourself (no offense).
That warranty you speak of, only applies if the windows are tinted to the legal limit, which not many shops tell you.
But he is right, if you have never done this before, and don't feel comfortable doing it, then take it in to get done.
It's really rather easy to do once you get the hang of it. But some people just all out suck at it lol.

blazer123456789 01-28-2007 05:53 PM

i got my windows tinted and they look good i did use the heat gun idea

davtak 01-29-2007 10:40 PM

Are the front 2 windows in a 4 door pre tinted any. I'm thinking of doing a tint on them. I heard that the road legal state limit in CT is 35%. I don't want to do a 35% tint, then get pulled over for them being too dark.

splat 01-29-2007 10:49 PM

Any glass has a slight tint to them, from the process they use to make the glass. It's usually like 80% or so if you meter them.

davtak 01-29-2007 11:17 PM

The back windows and the tailgate are blacked out basically. You can't even really see through them. So, if I put a 25% tint on the front window, I should be good with the coppers, huh. Or should it be a 50%. The tint gets darker the lower the number gets, huh.

splat 01-30-2007 12:09 AM

Yes it does. 20% usually best matches your factory tint, depending on the tint maker.
Yes, the lower the number, the darker the tint.
My tint is 18% carbon injected. As you can see in the pic below, it matches perfectly.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...wblazer006.jpg
BTW, your going to hate tinting your windows with those ventshades on. They get in the way.

davtak 01-30-2007 12:36 AM

Is that street legal? I don't know about that. A friend of mine had dark tints on his car and got pulled over for dark tints. I'll check the CT state law and go from there. As for the ventshades, I'm going to get new ones. The ones that are on there now have breaks in the tape strip, so opening the window when it rains out is pointless.

splat 01-30-2007 12:40 AM

No, it is not legal. I think CT legal limit is 50%. It is 50% here too.
You don't need to get new ventshades because of the tape strip. You can take them off, take off the tape. And put new 3m double sided tape on them. Use the stuff the put molding on cars with.

davtak 01-30-2007 10:46 PM

Oh yeah, I got a roll of that somewhere. I used it for my ventshades on my old car. I'll have to look for that. It sounds like it will be a job to do at the same time. Thanks splat.

Dabber 01-30-2007 11:09 PM

I have the inchannel ones (I've had the other ones on other vehicles) I luv these and there is never a need for tape or anything.

davtak 01-30-2007 11:56 PM

Yeah, I like those too, but the ones I have came on the truck when I bought it, and there is nothing wrong with them. I might get those if these ever break or anything. Would goo-gone be okay for getting the leftover tape off, or would it work, or would anybody have a better product that takes off the residue from the 3m tape.

splat 01-31-2007 01:03 PM

Use a hair dryer or heatgun on low heat, heat up the 3m tape and peel it off. To get the residue off GOO-GONE should work.

blazer123456789 01-31-2007 09:16 PM

one thing about tinting windows i think u should match the tint to be the same as your rear stock tinted windows...because it does not look good if u have a lighter tint or one that does not match in the front but.. thats just what i think lol

DankBlazer 01-31-2007 09:46 PM

When I get a blazer, i'll be tinting the front two windows, it'll for sure be profesionally done, but the Washington state law is 35% in the front windows, and factory I hear is around 20%, I already don't have a very clean looking driving record, which isn't good considering my age, and I CAN'T have any more stupid reasons to get tickets, I have terrible luck with tickets already, seeing the post above me, does anyone have any good pictures of what lighter tint up front would look like as apposed to the 20% in the rear? Because i'll most likely be getting 35%.
Justin
[align=left] [/align]

blazer123456789 01-31-2007 10:11 PM

i dont think a ticket for window tintis ganna send u to jail lol but if u have had problems with tickets u proably should stay away from the darker tint lol i just think it looks alot better

DankBlazer 01-31-2007 10:51 PM

Next traffic ticket i'll be without a license for a while ; )
[align=left] [/align]

splat 01-31-2007 11:04 PM

Blazer123456789 is right, the only tint that looks right is what matches rear, which is around 20%.
If you are going to go any lighter, it really isn't worth it, IMO.
The police are usually nazis here when it comes to giving out tickets, but I haven't been pulled over for tint in over 2 years on any of my cars. I think they should just do away with the tint laws.

DankBlazer 01-31-2007 11:56 PM

We'll see, but wouldn't 35% / 20% look better than no tint at all up front... I get caught up driving side by side with sheriffs all the time on the freeway in the AM hours, which already makes me nervous, let alone having illigal tint to make me more nervous, 35% tint isn't very dark but it still helps privacy, and is legal.. Anyone here have a blazer with lighter tint up front? I'd love to see a pic : /
Wow, just looked up some cars with 35% tint, you can pretty much see right through it, does anyone know if the old, ' the car came with it ' excuse works for tint? I've seen it in court quite a few times, people claiming the car came with it, doesn't seem to hold up...
[align=left] [/align]

blazer123456789 02-01-2007 08:47 PM

yea splat is right it isnt worth it if u are only going to have 35%.... 35% is like nothing the only thing i can think u would use 35% is to keep from getting a sun burn lol if it were me i would just gowithout tint and modify something eles