Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Tubular bumpers/winch bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 01:57 AM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tubular bumpers/winch bumpers?

Ok, so we'll make this long story short, the old guy hit me, lied about it, and the insurance company is on his side (see link of damages http://community.webshots.com/album/567826880UOiCkG ). So really i want an offroad bumper, tube steel, but can't find anyone who makes them for a 2001 Blazer Trailblazer. pls help, blazerforum pwns!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Tubular bumpers/winch bumpers?

It does not look too bad. A new bumper and some turn signals and you should be back looking good in no time.

About tubular bumpers, I doubt you will find an economical solution... There are some fab bumpers that are made for the ZR2s, but they are $$$.

If you are searching for a bumper and using "trailblazer" in your searches, dont. Trailblazer on the s-series trucks is just a trim package, nothing more. There is no need to mention it in any searches pertaining to bumpers.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:28 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

If you were closer to NC, there's a guy by me that has a design for tube bumpers, but due to the huuuuuge liability with bumpers, he only offers them with in house installation. You coming to NC anytime soon?

In theory you could make any bumper work that has a flat top edge with some welding to fab new mounting points..in theory . You'd be better off getting them custom made. A stout aftermarket bumper like ARBs will run you well over $1000, and then you have to ship the 200lb behemoth!

Old 10-09-2008, 11:37 AM

well the estimate from the adjustor was $3000, the adjustor! I havent even taken it to a shop yet, but for $1000 think something similar to this (see link http://www.zaib4x4.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=4173 ) could be welded on pretty easily. At the same time i could workout clearance issues for maybe as big as 31" tires, and really get my offroad project started on it. Just, is there anyone who makes them for Blazers (2001), or am i gonna have to measure and add more metal? And does anyone have some pics of a custom bumper on their Blazer? It looks to me that all i really need to start the process is a good HD winch mount, then i can bend up some 120 wall and weld it all together however i want, am i correct?

Old 10-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could easily fix that damage with less than $200 invested and pocket the rest! Junkyards are full of parts that can be easily swapped over like what you are looking for.

About your search for a tube bumper. You will likely have to adapt something to mount to the frame, provided you can find a suitable bumper that matches up properly to the blazer front end (width, height, etc). Or you could always go the custom route.

I have started sketching out a design for the front and rear bumpers on my K5, but both of mine will be flat steel sections welded up. I will just have the local steel supplier cut out everything on their CNC cut table and weld it all up myself. If you cannot do the work yourself, then cost rises dramatically from there.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:47 AM

Please see my above post....

Actually, i have done the front and rear bumpers on a 1994 Explorer before with Freak Off Road (now Dans or something) in Boulder, and i loved them. We actually went into the junkyard and rammed stuff with it afterwards, im pretty much sold on a good tube bumper, just need some pointers

Old 10-09-2008, 01:55 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

The hard parts going to be the winch mount. The bumper doesn't mount inline with the frame, so you'll end up lever-ing your bumper off if you're not careful. You might want to consider synergy offroad's winch mount and then fab the bumper around that. Their mount goes between the frame rails. Clicky.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:09 PM

Really i could weld up my own custom box (or my father in law actually) to fit in between the frame rails and go from there huh?

Old 10-10-2008, 01:44 AM
BF Veteran

I suppose you could...but you'd have to do alot of work to find good spots, clearances, and testing to make sure it works well.....Jigg's already done that for ya

But its your time/money!

Old 10-10-2008, 02:05 PM

I could just measure between the frame rails and weld up my own box for it, weld it all together and tighten up the entire front end at the same time, then weld up the Smittybilt tube on it w/ a combo skid plate. O i can see it now :P

Quick Reply: Tubular bumpers/winch bumpers?