Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Weldless Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Starting Member
BigEffingHammer is on a distinguished road
Default Weldless Bumper

Hey guys, I was just wondering if it was even possibly to create a bumper without any welding.

I have no welding skills whatsoever however I would love to create my own bumper.

I understand it may look tacky with bolts everywhere, but if they were correctly placed, they could look good.

So, opinions?

Old 12-16-2011, 08:03 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

you could probably do it with steel pipe and plates threaded to it....not to be a smart a$$ but it sounds kinda "mad max"-ish.

not to say i havent given it some thought...i would like a "tough" looking bumper but they tend to be pricey.
and in order to bend some steel to make it look angular is gonna be fun at bumper thickness...3/16" or so.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Starting Member

Well, I'd probably make it in the style of https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-...-bumper-61557/

I'm thinking just get a 3 or 4" square tube for the main part, cut it in half, grind it to an angle and somehow bolt it back together.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:22 AM
Starting Member

I've decided to put more thought into this so I whipped up a quick basic render.
3x3 steel tubing cut and angled
1/4 inch flat steel used for bumper mounts, the bracer in the back, and the 6" tall front piece

This definitely looks more possible than I before thought, and this is a nice display of what it could be.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Looks good so far.
How are you going to close off the ends?
I like the angled look..taper the bottoms at the ends to..mor angular look maybe

Old 03-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
Looks good so far.
How are you going to close off the ends?
I like the angled look..taper the bottoms at the ends to..mor angular look maybe
Probably going to extend the 6" tall 1/4" flat steel around the corner with some L shaped steel attaching the two.

What do you mean by taper the bottoms at the ends?
-Like cut a chunk out of each side of the 6" tall flat steel on the sides to give a gradual slope from 6" to 3"?

Old 03-04-2012, 11:11 AM
BF Veteran

^^^yup...just looks cleaner with the trim

Old 03-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Starting Member

Quick question how hard do you think it is the make that band with the quarter inch flat bill

Old 03-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Starting Member

Quick question how hard do you think it is the make that band with the quarter inch flat steel?

Old 03-04-2012, 12:14 PM
BF Veteran

Prob pretty hard.
I was thinking of just cutting off the extra and shaping it.

Quick Reply: Weldless Bumper