Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Wet Floorboard?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Beginning Member
D_Beezy18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Wet Floorboard?

Alright I have a 1999 LT model. My passenger side floor actually stays damp all of the time. People have told me it was the heater core, but there is no antifreeze nor smell of any kind. Others have said it was the A/C drain out but that is not the issue either I don't imagine. I normally have just vacummed the side very regularly and it hasn't been an issue until this past weekend. I went out of town and left my vehicle parked in a slight incline nose down. It absolutely poured this weekend and when I got back I literally had almost an inch of standing water in the floor! I took off the kick panel and rolled up the carpet and it is absolutely soaking wet. I have looked into whether or not it is my windshield leaking, door weather stripping, etc. I don't know where to start and I don't exactly have the money to just be fixing things that aren't necessary. Please help!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Don't imagine, actually check. To disregard something without checking would be negligent.

It can also be worn door pins or a bad seal on the windshield.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 PM
wrenchturner3529 is on a distinguished road

To check the heater core you can disconnect the hose and connect them with a piece of pipe and hose clamps. See If water goes away. Reconnect them. If water returns its the heater core.

For possible windshield seal look for water marks possibly on the dash. I knew mine was bad when in a ran I hit the brakes hard and water dumped onto my dash near the mirror. Strangly the headliner was never wet.

You could pull the windshield wiper cowling and see if there is a rust hole under it which could lead to water leaking into the vehicle.

If the floor is wet all the time and not just when it rains, I would look for it to be the heater core.

Good luck and post back what you find out.

Last edited by wrenchturner3529; 07-25-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Added windshield cowl info
Old 07-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Beginning Member

Well I guess "imagine" wasn't the right word. What I was trying to get across was the fact that my truck sat in one spot all weekend (Fri-Sun). It poured outside and there was a puddle of water in my truck. How hard is it to disconnect the heater core hose?

Old 07-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would concentrate on looking at the door & windshield. The HVAC drain can still be at fault because water can get into the HVAC housing even while sitting.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:36 PM
wrenchturner3529 is on a distinguished road

Flat tip screwdriver or 1/4 inch socket or pliers depending on the type of clamp. Open the hood and on the passenger side two hose going to the fire wall.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Beginning Member

Also, @swartlkk the door on that side does actually sag, but I never considered that could be the problem just because I make sure the door is completely shut? Is that fairly easy to repair myself?

Old 07-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Administrator

If it isn't too bad, you just have to replace the door pins & bushings. It isn't all that bad, but doing it by yourself without a door dolly or cherry picker can be a real pain. You are basically removing the door. Having a light truck door hinge spring tool helps considerably as well.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Beginning Member

Alright, just pulled it into the garage and pulled back the carpet.. I got to the firewall and there is a hose/cable of some type that has a round rubber plug around it. It was out of its hole. I had an audio system put in about 3 years ago and as far as I remember thats when it started to retain water. The power wire had a hole drilled for it and a rubber stopper around it. I just put the plug back in its hole. Could that, you think have been my issue perhaps?

Old 07-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Administrator

It's possible. Time will tell.