Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

what % tint stock on First Gen

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 05:42 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about
Default what % tint stock on First Gen

Anyone know what % tint is used on the stock first gens? I would like to tint the front windows, but would like it to match.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:59 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

I doubt it will match
and speaking from experience check your local codes and don't go any darker than allowed 20-25% likely
I had my car done by a guy that used super Limo black (5%?) on all my windows including the front doors
It was like driving a cardboard box , I had to put the windows down to make a turn and back up at night
I had the guy strip the front windows and re do them

Old 06-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

out here in cali, almost everyone does like a "fade" with the windows. normally the front two windows are lighter than the rest of them. i think i have 35 on my front two and i dont have to roll down windows or anything to park at night.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:24 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rexazz2
I doubt it will match
and speaking from experience check your local codes and don't go any darker than allowed 20-25% likely
I had my car done by a guy that used super Limo black (5%?) on all my windows including the front doors
It was like driving a cardboard box , I had to put the windows down to make a turn and back up at night
I had the guy strip the front windows and re do them
I am not looking for a perfect match, just as close as possible as the rear windows are (they are not that dark to begin with) Just bothers me looking at it and the front drivers door windows not being tinted.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:26 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Twip
out here in cali, almost everyone does like a "fade" with the windows. normally the front two windows are lighter than the rest of them. i think i have 35 on my front two and i dont have to roll down windows or anything to park at night.
hmm good idea! it will tint them, but not too much.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:41 PM

here is what it am talking about. the rears are completely stock, the fronts are tinted...i just dont remember how much. this is my work Blazer so i didnt go as dark as i did with my DD seeing as how some times i have to run with cops and they dont like tint. unless its on there cruisers/trucks....not all that fair... anyway, here is a pic. you can see that the fronts are just a shade lighter than the rears.
[IMG][/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails what % tint stock on First Gen-20130616_173548_zpsd66380e5.jpg  
Old 06-16-2013, 06:53 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by richphotos
I am not looking for a perfect match, just as close as possible as the rear windows are (they are not that dark to begin with) Just bothers me looking at it and the front drivers door windows not being tinted.
the back will have the tint in the glass so be sure to use ammonia free cleaner on the aftermarket tint or you will have issues

Like Twip said be cautious of over doing the tint , police don't like it and it just gives them reason to stop you
A quick call to your local tint shop will tell you exactly what is legal
Most areas do not allow tint at all on the windshield however guys still will put a 8-10 inch strip across the top

Old 06-16-2013, 07:00 PM

the back will have the tint in the glass so be sure to use ammonia free cleaner on the aftermarket tint or you will have issues

Like Twip said be cautious of over doing the tint , police don't like it and it just gives them reason to stop you
Most areas do not allow tint at all on the windshield however guys still will put a 8-10 inch strip across the top
Good point Rex about the ammonia...i forgot about that. i just use Invisible Glass. stuff works great. i know that in Cali, you pretty much arent "legally" allowed to have tint on the two front windows. as far as the windshield goes though, you are allowed to put what they call a "visor" on. but it cant be lower than 4 inches into the viewing area from the top of the head liner. most places measure this differently, but this is what i was told from a Highway Patrol out here. like he said, just check with the local place. if you dont trust them, call another and make sure the stories match up.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:30 PM
BF Veteran

I only use meguiars glass cleaner so I am good there, Looks like I will try to find 35% at some point here, other things to worry about, Just adding more to the list of things i want to do.