Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Window Streaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Starting Member
Yooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Window Streaking

OK, so my Blazer's driver's side rear window was streaked when I bought it. At first it didn't bother me that much, but every time I look at it, I get bothered. It is just one of those little things that wears away at you until you decide to do something about it. Here are some pictures.

The windows are factory tint. On the inside rear corner it says "Solar Ray Deep Tint Safety Flo-lite" So, I don't think it is a problem commonly associated with bad aftermarket tint jobs. I have tried everything to try to get this off: Solvents, razors, solvents & a razor. Nothing effects it . Any ideas what could have caused this and if there is a way to fix this other than having the window replaced????

Old 05-25-2008, 12:00 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Window Streaking

Probably just hard water stains. Maybe try lime away or some other bathroom cleaner

No guarantee on safety for the glass/tint/window seals.

Found a better solution: Vinegar

Cleaning Spotted Glass
Some parts of the country are burdened with extremely hard water. Hard water is water that contains excessive trace elements including calcium, iron, lime, and other minerals found in streams and rivers. These trace elements remain on your glass when water from sprinklers or washing air dries. These hard water spots attach themselves to glass like white on rice. If left on your glass for very long, hard water spots will not wash off with shampooing or regular glass cleaners.

In my experience, there are only two ways to remove hard water spots. The first is to use distilled white vinegar. If your water spots are mild, you can dilute the vinegar 2:1 with water. Heavy spots may require pure vinegar. Either way, the vinegar will not harm you or your car. Vinegar is a very mild acid, which dissolves the alkaline-based mineral water deposits with ease.

If hard water spots are allowed to remain for more than a week or two, they may etch the glass. So, even though you have removed the minerals causing the water spots, the spots remain as damage to your glass. In these cases, it is necessary to polish the glass. Until recently, there were a number of glass polishes on the market. The two best products were Eagle One Glass Polish & RainX Glass Polish. However, both of these products have been discontinued due to little demand.

In my experience, any light (low abrasive) car polish that does not contain paint feeding oils will work as a good glass polish. Eagle One Scratch Remover is a good example of a polish that does not contain oils and works well on glass, as does P21S Multi-Surface Finish Restorer. There are two ways to use these polishes. The most gentle is to use an old t-shirt to polish the spotted area and buff to full luster. The second is to use the polish with #00 or finer synthetic steel wool to remove the spots then buff with an old t-shirt.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:56 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

is it aftermarket tint on the inside or is it the outside of the glass. If its tint you can scrape it off with a razor blaze then use paint thinner to remove the glue. Its a pain in @ss but it should work.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:14 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I think he just wants the white water streaks/spots off....he's not trying to remove the tint...

Old 05-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Starting Member

Yeah, I am trying to remove the streaks. It is wierd. The glass feels smooth throughout the whole window. Id dosen't even feel like anything is there. I think I will try the vinegar see if that helps at all. I just find it strange that it is only on one window on the whole Blazer. I will let you know how the vinegar works tomorrow. I will do it in the morning if it isn't raining. We have had a few really nasty thunderstorms come through here.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Starting Member

OK, I have tried everything that I can think of to try to get rid of this streaking. I have tried vinegar, Goo-Gone, WD-40, Windex, and Rubbing alchohol. With every one of those I also used a razor toscrape it. I even broke out the almighty Mr. Clean Majic Eraser. Nothing is even effecting it. My last resort is Lime Away or CLR. I will be picking one of those up tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I have no idea what I am going to do. I am running out of options. I would hate to replace a window for cosmetic reasons, but this is really starting to bother me.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:35 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

wax and a super fine steel wool..

you have streaking caused by acid rain. what does the paint on your truck look like.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:47 PM
BF Veteran

If it's acid rain, then won't the glass be etched, requiring a glass polish?

Or does the steel wool buff the scratches out...essentially polishing?

Old 05-26-2008, 08:55 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

yup.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Starting Member

See, I have thought of this, but it is ONLY on the drivers side rear window. Why would all the others be untouched if it were something caused by the elements? Based on what the photos look like though I would say the same thing. It looks like where water has run down the window dorunig a rain storm. I am willing to try anything that others might suggest. When you say super fine, do you mean something like #00 or do I have to go finer than that. If so where would I find it? Also, do you just mean like some regular vehicle wax? I have some Turtle Wax Ice synthetic paste. Would that work? Please give me a short step-by-step. I just don't want to dive into this and end up seriously marring my window. Oh, by the way, the paint on my Blazer is fine. I don't see any wearing or "scoring" that would be associated with acid rain.

Quick Reply: Window Streaking