Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

WIP Spare Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:41 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough
Default WIP Spare Wheel

Painting the spare wheel black, practice for my normal wheels, and something to do in this good weather.

Starting the masking.

Added news paper, saves on masking tape, and does the job faster then masking the whole wheel.

Also masked up the air-thingy.

Primed, first coat.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:29 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Did you sand that at all first? It looks awful rough after that primer coat, which to me would mean you didnt sand it...or at least not very well. Your paint job will turn out terrible if you don't fix all the rough spots and rust on it first. You might want to try a sanding wheel or grinding wheel on it to save your arm from hours of sanding...

Old 03-08-2010, 10:51 AM
JST4SHO is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea the hub looks a little messed up on that wheel too.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:19 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

I spent about three hours scraping and sanding of the rust, lol! There are a few spots where rust would not come off, so I said "all well, it's just the spare rim" lol This thing was 100% pure rust before I started sanding,which you can see on the top pics I got most of it off.

Not sure why it's so small =S

Old 03-08-2010, 11:39 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I would of used some sort of grinding/buffing wheel to try and get all that out. But you're right, it's just the spare tire. Where does yours mount anyway? under?

Old 03-08-2010, 12:11 PM
BF Veteran

I'll have to see if my uncle has one of those. Would be easier

It used to mount under, but the mount broke and we've been storing it in the back of the truck. But lately it's been sitting out by the fence, which is how I came about to painting it.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:15 PM
BF Veteran

Well I guess it's not that important how it looks if it's undermounted...you never see it.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:20 PM
BF Veteran

And I hope to never have to use it lol!

Old 03-08-2010, 12:26 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Lol.... just a spare... say that when you are sitting on the interstate and trying to change your tire...

Old 03-08-2010, 12:59 PM
BF Veteran

True, lol

Quick Reply: WIP Spare Wheel