Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

130 mile commute

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Beginning Member
kng254 is on a distinguished road
Default 130 mile commute

I drive min130 mile highway daily need to get every mile out of a tank of gas. My 95 Jimmy is stock 4dr 4wd I just tuned it plugs wires rotor belts. I was thinking about going with air Intake and free flowing exaust any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kng254
I drive min130 mile highway daily need to get every mile out of a tank of gas. My 95 Jimmy is stock 4dr 4wd I just tuned it plugs wires rotor belts. I was thinking about going with air Intake and free flowing exaust any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
i'd try a drop in k&N less restrictive filter. i did spark plugs, pcv valve, fuel injector cleaner, fuel filter (only god knows how long its been in there), really fuel filters should be changed out every 12,000 miles but no one does i dont know why. i also put in a vac/turbo gauge and just use the vac side. when your running the highest vaccum your getting the best gas mileage. i did this and went from 14mpg to 19mpg (in the summer). right now im only getting 15 but thats temp. also when i was getting 19 in the summer i had probably 400-500 pounds of tools and miscelanious (yea thats not how you spell it) stuff . hope this helps

Old 01-11-2010, 07:31 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Buy a civic.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:36 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sisk
Buy a civic.
Or move closer.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sisk
Buy a civic.
wow sisk really. your a canadian too. dang. i burn civics instead of wood during the winter to keep warm. i sure aint buying forign you know what to run on road. i'd rather burn more saudi gas in a blazer but i sure as you know what aint supporting foreign auto companies. blazers might not be good on gas but at least your supporting your countries automakers* im with matt on this one move closer or try some of the stuff above

*sorry if this offends anybody but i believe everyones entiteled to their own opinion even if we disagree on this subject.

Last edited by Spectreblazer; 01-11-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:45 PM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

That's alot of miles for a commute. But is that just one way or round trip? Either way I think that once you start crunching numbers and taking into account wear and tear plus fuel cost, tire cost. Myself I agree with the other two replies.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:51 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
wow sisk really. your a canadian too. dang. i burn civics instead of wood during the winter to keep warm. i sure aint buying forign you know what to run on road. i'd rather burn more saudi gas in a blazer but i sure as you know what aint supporting foreign auto companies. blazers might not be good on gas but at least your supporting your countries automakers* im with matt on this one move closer or try some of the stuff above

*sorry if this offends anybody but i believe everyones entiteled to their own opinion even if we disagree on this subject.
Man, everything is made in china.... no but seriously... some stuff is not made where the manufacture is located.....

Old 01-11-2010, 07:52 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
i'd try a drop in k&N less restrictive filter. i did spark plugs, pcv valve, fuel injector cleaner, fuel filter (only god knows how long its been in there), really fuel filters should be changed out every 12,000 miles but no one does i dont know why. i also put in a vac/turbo gauge and just use the vac side. when your running the highest vaccum your getting the best gas mileage. i did this and went from 14mpg to 19mpg (in the summer). right now im only getting 15 but thats temp. also when i was getting 19 in the summer i had probably 400-500 pounds of tools and miscelanious (yea thats not how you spell it) stuff . hope this helps
hmmm.... I should try all of those, too. I hate getting 16mpg in a 2WD!!!

Old 01-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wlorton
Man, everything is made in china.... no but seriously... some stuff is not made where the manufacture is located.....
i know that. the names are still american i guess. it just really ticks me off to see people not supporting their own workers

Old 01-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Spectreblazer- I'm pretty sure Sisk said that with sarcasm in mind and/or for humor's sake. These trucks aren't known for great gas mileage. I'm fairly certain we all love Blazers, Jimmys, Tahoes, Yukons, etc. but if we didn't then why would we be here or own the vehicles for that matter and talk about how we take care of them? Glad to see someone else though who buys American. I've only owned GM vehicles myself.

On topic: CAI is always a good bet, as is a better exhaust. However, someone told me that exhaust size upgrade doesn't net a huge gain in the MPG category. Be careful though- when I first did intake and exhaust on my Firebird, I missed the MPG gain though because my foot liked the HP gain more haha. Try the stuff Spectreblazer mentioned in his first post. I for one like to find out more about the vac/turbo gauge trick.

Quick Reply: 130 mile commute