Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

2.8L intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 06:57 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2.8L intake

Im not sure if this is the MOST appropriate location for this thread, so if it needs to be moved please do. Im looking to upgrade/replace my stock 2.8L intake and air ducting (leading up to the filter). Ive done a little searching on the net and on this site and really havent been able to find much. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough
Default RE: 2.8L intake

This or this, or you can also go to an open element air cleaner.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:29 PM

oh great, thanks for that info. I didnt know that s-10 forum existed. One question though, Inbetween the stock filter and the air inlet tubing there is a piece that has a tube (vacuum im assumin) and a metal flapper inside the tube. Not sure if that make sense. What do I do with the tubing (vacuum) if I make my own CAI?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:01 PM

oh, also, if I get the TBI plenum, do I have to worry about the TBI spacer Im installing? Will that cause issues with the fit of the plenum?

Old 08-19-2008, 05:38 PM

So I think I answered one of my questions and came upwith a new one at the same time. Im pretty sure the spacer wont matter because the filter housing sits on top of the TBI, not around it. Here is my new quesiton though...... I read that if you flip the lid on the filter cousing to allow more air in, you get a slight performance gain. Well I tried it out and now my blazer is throwing a CEL ????? Any idea why?The wierd part is that it doesnt come on right away, I have to drive around for a mile or 2 first, then the CEL lights up.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

I think the vac hose you talk about opens that flapper and closes it when it's warmed up. If you add a spacer it might raise the plenum hat up and hit the hood, but I can't say for sure or not. I flipped my lid just for the hell of it, and I like the sound it makes. Mine hasn't given a code nor have I read it creating a code for others. Maybe check to see what the code is.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:34 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I'm running an open 10 inch with a k&n on mine with no problems. The vac hose and piping your talking about is the preheater. 99% of the time after a few years that stuff stops working anyways and you'll never notice it missing.

As for the code, make sure you didn't bump any vac lines or electrical connectors loose while you were messing with it. Pull the code and tell us what it is and we can help you more. If you don't know how to pull the code here:
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f106/h...-codes-343044/

FYI, don't waste your time or money on the spacer. Been there, done that, been long removed and trashed.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:12 PM

The preheater hose is different than the vac line going to the flapper Im talking about. Is the flappers only purpose to assist the preheater? If so, when I go to the CAI, the flapper can be left out, and the heater hose replased with a crank case filter.... correct?

I thought about going open air element filter like you mentioned, but all that does is suck up the hot engine air.... unless you have a functional hood scoop.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:05 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

The preheater mess can be plugged and left off, the crankcase vent (coming from the valve cover to the breather) needs to be left and piped into the ductwork of a CAI or if you like cleaning oil off the side of your motor use a filter vent you can buy at any parts store. The flapper only opens and allows trapped hot air from the manifold to enter the motor, supposed to assist on cold mornings or some trash.

My only option was to run an open air breather. With 4x4 I have no room for a CAI and heat shield on the drivers side cause my vac resvoir and overflow tank is in the way. I'm still pondering on how to move stuff around one year later to have one. As for a hood scoop I'm planning on getting a cowl hood one day. Untill then this cleans up my motor bay a bit and allows me to show off my fiero covers and the polished intake manifold if I ever get doen with it.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:32 PM

does a cowl induction hood really supply cold air into the engine bay, or is it just for looks? Doesnt seem like it would do much since the opening is facing the windshield and the vehicle moves in the opposite direction most of the time. Good point about 4x4..... I will have to take a look under my hood since Im in the same boat and figure out how to route a CAI as well.

Quick Reply: 2.8L intake