Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

2wd to 4wd conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Blazer_Man_Dan is on a distinguished road
Default 2wd to 4wd conversion?

i have a 4door 2wd 1999 blazer LT and was just curious... can a 2wd blazer be modded to 4wd? i understand it would cost thousands of dollars, but from what i can tell, there isnt much difference in the design of the two trucks... what would have to be done to install the neccesary parts (if they're avaliable) and how much would the whole project cost? thanks for imput!

Old 03-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The frame on a 2wd is very different than what is under a 4wd. None of the provisions for the torsion bar mount or the front axle mount are on your frame nor is there clearance for the front axle in a 2wd frame.

About the only way to accomplish this is to do a frame swap, solid front axle conversion, or get familiar with a torch and welder to strip the applicable brackets, etc off of a 4wd frame. The last two options require solid fabrication experience to get done.

Your time and money would be much better applied to buying a 4wd truck and selling your current truck.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Beginning Member
jcpc83 is on a distinguished road

I agree with swart, you could check around for a totalled out 4wd but make sure the frame is straight and swap bodies around. Either way if you spent 8 hours a day, it would still take 2-4 months to do with a highly skilled mechanic. Though your best bet is to find a 4wd with a blown engine, some people will sell them for dirt cheap, I bought my 97 4wd Blazer for $450 cash and all it needed was a new cap and rotor. Then just swap engines around and call it good. The 2wd is missing all the brackets for the front axle and the torsion bars, and the A arms and knuckles are different.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Blazer_Man_Dan is on a distinguished road

These are kinda the responses I expected, so this isn't a suprise... im glad i wasnt planning on doing this myself... thanks for the input, my curiousity is cured! Lol