Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

4.3 TBI to 4.3 carb swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 11:47 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by odat
Ya it should run - and may limp down the road...
But you are missing the point that even tho it may run - if nothing else works thu out the vehicle it's still pretty much useless...
It may not charge, blinkers may not work, headlights may not work ECT ECT ECT just depending on how intergrated the 2000 system is.
Yeah, I forgot that the alternator voltage regulation is done by the PCM!! No computer - no charge battery! That's another big one. And the alternator can't be rewired as it has no voltage regulator.

Just noticed that OP stated TBI to Carb in Title. Actually his 2nd gen Blazer is not TBI - a 2000 is MPFI

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-18-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:22 AM
Beginning Member
Sandman98207 is on a distinguished road

Dont quote me on this but I believe you can swap the fuel pump from a tbi setup, which would lower you fuel pressure closer to what you need and still run the fuel pressure regulator like your friend told you input line into the reg, out put to the carb and return to return line. Since your into electronics I would get the wiring diagrams and a poster board and create a schematic, flipping through the pages of the book tracing lines can greatly increase your chances of error and removing something you need.
then determine what sensors you need and what you can do with out and see if its possible to have those sensor on engine setup.
Second option would be to find a wiring harness and ecu from a TBI setup and go that route alot of work running/building a new harness but could limit alot of your head aches down the road. This would be my approach as I could get an ecu and wiring harness from junk yard at reasonable price and splice in approriate connectors if need be. Still might have to do something like dakota digital for instrument cluster/gauges but could take out alot of the pain that will be involved. You got a lot of research infront of you to make it work right but it can be done. what its gonna cost who knows.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:01 AM
Beginning Member
Sandman98207 is on a distinguished road

What cam did he install?

Old 06-08-2019, 05:14 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

LOL. What an unexpected ending. Actually I am thinking of swapping the intake with CFI for a carburetor one. It's operation is pretty similar to the LPG 2nd gen supply - injectors are inhibited, while the mixture of LPG and air goes through the throttle body. That kind of an installation is widely used, and what it require is an O2 sensor signal emulators. All other things like odo, rpm, oil pressure, transmission are in tact. RPM signal comes from a camshaft, odo from VSS, oil pressure from the galley sensor. I don't actually see the reason they won't work.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:40 PM
Beginning Member
twiggss is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JoshyB
but I am just not one to give up when something is complicated.
Doubt the OP is coming back but this just made me laugh.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:43 PM
Beginning Member
JoshyB is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by twiggss
Doubt the OP is coming back but this just made me laugh.
I think you may have overestimated the power of a bunch of jerks on the internet...

I'm totally just kidding!!

Everyone's criticisms were exactly why I posted here. Unfortunately, life got in the way and I had to put things on pause. Right now I am maybe a day or two of work away from firing it up. I learned a lot during this process and I plan on doing a more in-depth thread in the coming weeks. Unfortunately, I didn't get a lot of pictures or any videos.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:55 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Nice work. Nice electrical circuitry. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:19 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Sandman98207
What cam did he install?
It's running a marine cam.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:42 AM
Beginning Member

Since this thread is kinda dead for now and lacks much real organization or direction, I'll share a few small details here before I start the real build thread.

In reading my posts, I think I undersold my abilities. This was clearly due to lack of experience and the natural tendency to overcomplicate things because once I reduced everything down to bolts and plugs in my mind, there was no need to ask silly questions anymore. The old system's electronics were terrifyingly intertwined and wiring diagrams shut my brain down...so...I yanked every last wire and control module from the vehicle. Everything will be controlled by my simple, effective system. I'm approaching this as a fresh, old school rat rod. Everything electrical that remains is very simple; the most complicated things are the blinkers and wiper motor. No power steering, no AC, no ABS. Will be wrestling the pumpless power steering for a bit while I decide how to convert to mechanical steering, and I'm still researching how to eliminate the vacuum booster in the brake system. This is no ordinary project, especially for 2020...dumbed down, stripped of creature comforts...blah blah blah...

Edit to add::: The gauges that I'm using for now are just a Bosch mechanical set. Oil pressure, water temp, voltage. Just the stuff I need to feel like I know what's going on.

Last edited by JoshyB; 04-26-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:51 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Really looking foward to this, very intrigued