Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Air Intake Heatshield Dimensions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 03:29 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Air Intake Heatshield Dimensions?

Anyone got a K&N FIPK Heatshield laying around that you'd be willing to measure and post dimensions.

I want make a heatshield, but I want it to be rigid and solid like the one that comes with the K&N.

there is a good write up on making a heat shield, but unfortunatley the dimensions are obviously off. and i like the k&n style a bit better as id

like to have the mounts as tabs like on the k&n. not bolt on angle brackets.

its wet weather here, so making a cardboard template is outa the question for a bit.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:05 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Air Intake Heatshield Dimensions?

How are the dimensions obviously off?

Old 02-24-2009, 12:08 PM

In this image, the math doesn't add up.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...LGTemplate.jpg

You can visibly see that those dimension don't accurately match the template. (4in wider then 5in, ??? )
I know this because I attempted to create a illustrator document of the specs, I was going to add to that post.

I am not dissing, It is a fantastic writeup, unfortunately I am a stickler for perfection and plan on using a thicker metal so I wont have as much "give" in my design.

hense the reason I'm hoping someone can measure the K&N heatshield.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The K&N intake is worse at sealing than what Gary has drawn up. I will agree that he must have been smoking something when he dimensioned it!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point

I took the dimensions that he wrote up and built mine to perfection. You just have to look at the numbers and work off it(obviously i made some minor adjustments so it would work with my tube). All it takes some thinking(Work from left to right and add it up as you go... so 4+6=10+6=16+5=21+4=25 Total with..and the same from the top of the diagram to the bottom). I made mine out of checkerplate...Easy enough to bend for me!

Old 02-24-2009, 02:47 PM

How exactly does the K&N fail to seal? I'm asking because I would obviously like to improve on any design flaws. the k&N has a larger hole and it doesn't appear to be as deep. any insight would be helpful. I'm going to use the case off of an old PC to make the shield I'm thinking. It is like 1mm thick steel. but cutting it wont be necessarily easy, ha ha. let me know any thoughts.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you are very exact in your contours, you will not completely seal the filter from engine bay air. The K&N, being a production based heat shield, has more liberal clearances to other components (core support, inner fender, etc) than what Gary was able to make his to. Any homemade heatshield, provided the attention to detail is good, will seal off the filter better than a production piece.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:51 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

From left to right:

The one that the most off was the middle 6" with the hole in it and I attribute that to the bends in the sheetmetal taking up some of the measurement.

The angle of the template pic makes it look a little off.

All of this is irrelevant anyway because I will be re-doing the shield with a trash can once it gets warm again.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Rubbermaid FTW!! So easy to work with and make fit exactly as required!!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 PM

yah, i saw the trash can, does it work good? got a model number? haha, That would be too easy?

Quick Reply: Air Intake Heatshield Dimensions?