Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

ECM/Programming differences

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Starting Member
BlazerSS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: ECM/Programming differences

Dr

With the Jet Programmer "The following vehicle parameters can be monitored with the scan tool function:

-Calculated Load Value
-Engine Coolant Temperature
-Short Term Fuel Trim 1 & 2
-Long Term Fuel Trim 1 & 2
-Manifold Pressure (MAP)
-Engine RPM
-Vehicle Speed
-Spark Advance
-Inlet Air Temperature
-Throttle Position
-02 Sensors Bank 1 & 2
-Mass Air Flow Value
-Live data monitoring is included on software versions 3.5-up"

Old 11-14-2007, 08:44 AM
Starting Member
BlazerSS is an unknown quantity at this point

I forgot to add that it also Reads and clears factory diagnostic trouble codes (turn off check engine light),
Correct speedometer and turn off ABS light after making gear ratio or tire size changes
Bypass computer aided gear selector in manual transmissions
Tri-Power performance tuning modes for regular, midgrade or premium fuels

Peace

Old 11-14-2007, 03:23 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Well, if I didn't have my Hypertech already, it'd definitely be worth it, lol.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

I am waking this thread up again because I have a question. I currently have the Hypertech Programmer designed for the 96-97 Blazer. It is able to clear codes, but it doesn't tell me which codes are coming up. It looks like the Jet Programmer is a better product. Has anybody here had the opportunity to test the two side by side?

Old 12-20-2007, 12:53 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

That's strange. My Hypertech PPIII both reads the codes and gives you the opportunity to clear them.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:52 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

whats really the advantage to raising the rev limiter? isnt it their to save your engine.....I've only redlined mine maybe 3 or 4 times since I owned it.......

Old 12-21-2007, 06:00 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: rriddle3

That's strange. My Hypertech PPIII both reads the codes and gives you the opportunity to clear them.
He's running a 96 - 97... It might be an OBD 1.5 quirk...

ORIGINAL: blazinloud

whats really the advantage to raising the rev limiter? isnt it their to save your engine.....I've only redlined mine maybe 3 or 4 times since I owned it.......
It's really only useful if you've done mods to give your truck more power in the higher RPM's...

The 4.3 kinda falls on its face at over 5000RPM anyway, that's why I dropped the limiter to 5200, lol.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

'95 was the only year for the mongrel PCM commonly referred to as OBD1.5. But there are other challenges with the '96-'97 PCMs that make them different than the '98+.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

'95 was the only year for the mongrel PCM commonly referred to as OBD1.5. But there are other challenges with the '96-'97 PCMs that make them different than the '98+.
What specific challenges?

Also, seeing as the engine and tranny appear to be the same as the 98+ trucks, then does this mean I could find an advantage in upgrading the PCM altogether to a newer version?

Old 12-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

They may not be compatible as your vehicle has 4 O2 sensors and the '98+ have 3. I am not sure what would be involved in the swap over, but I don't think it would be as simple as unpluging connectors and removing one O2 sensor. You would need to look at wiring diagrams for both the 96-97 PCM and the 98+ PCM to make sure that the wires that mattered were going to be in the appropriate locations as well as remove anything unused. But this may also create complications with the BCM (body control module) as more things moved over to serial bus communication in '98.

The challenges are in the programming end of things. The '95 was a mess with it's mix of OBD1 and OBD2. There are some of these issues that carried over into the 96-97 PCMs and it relates to the pre-cat O2 sensor and the programming to support it. While the drivetrains remain relatively unchaged between the early 2nd gens and the later 2nd gens, the programming is different.

Quick Reply: ECM/Programming differences