Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

headers and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Beginning Member
mmench is an unknown quantity at this point
Default headers and exhaust

i was looking around the other day and found a set of headers on ebay... i dont know how good they are or anything but do any of you guys know about them?

Very Long eBay link

im gona do basically a tru dual setup on my blazer and have an H pipe in the middle to balance it out pretty well. also im gona use either 30 or 40 series flows on italso how do i tell if i have air injection on it? ive never really messed with my blazer yet so im not clued in on wat to look for

*EDIT by swartlkk* - fixed long link

Old 10-18-2007, 09:11 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: headers and exhaust

It's your choice, Mike, but as has been discussed here before, dual exhaust on a Blazer 4.3L really does not give you much return in performance and can actually decrease power in a lot of cases. The engine is designed to operate at a certain level of exhaust back pressure and duals will usually take away low end torque and hp, but might add a very small amount of upper rpm performance. Soundwise, the exhaust note will perhaps be louder than a single, but it will never give the wonderful rumble you would get from a V8. The above reasons reflect why almost no V8's in modern design cars come with true duals like the old cars did.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Beginning Member

true. i just started thinking about it just yesterday so i dont have anything set. i see your point about duals... i guess i just should have said i wanted the dual outlets because im just not a fan of a single tip. ty for your input though... im also gona get my pcm done by pcm for less. in a few weeks i hope. depends on when i get my other turbo project car done.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:51 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a plan to me. The only trick you might encounter with the dual outlet is, if you have a four door with the underbody spare tire it can be tricky getting that outlet routed in a sane manner around it.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Beginning Member

dont gota worry bout that here. i have a 2dr. only thing i have ever worried about on my blazer is the motor mounts... because i am on my third set and the are not in good shape on the drivers side

Old 10-19-2007, 09:57 AM
cain45 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey mmench are you the same guy that has an 06 monte carlo from another forum?

Old 10-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Beginning Member

no sir. im on this forum ..... srtforums.com... and dodgeforum.com. dont have any monte carlo's anymore. somebody else got my name or something?

Old 10-30-2007, 09:40 AM
blazinblack is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a 94 with headers and a x-pipe with glass packs on it and an intake. it made a huge difference but when you do it you should polish the exhaust ports for maximum performance.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 12-12-2007, 09:56 AM
cain45 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea on the monte carlo forum someone has your name...LOL.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

A big mistake isoften made with a small displacement engines such as a Chevy V6 4.3L engine when the exhaust flow is increased and the exhaust back-pressure reduced .Small displacement engines must have abalanced intake to exhaust flowto prevent the combustion chambers from being over-scavenged. Over-scavenging the combustion chambers is when back-pressue has been reduced in the exhaust system to the pointthat the outgoing exhaust pulses draw a portionof the incoming fuel-air mixture out of the combustion chambers withthem. That is becausebecausevalve timing must allowboth valves to be open at the same time for a fewdegrees of crank rotation.That is called "valve overlap" which aids in pulling the fuel-air mixture into the combustion chambers.Eliminating too much of the back-pressure in the exhaust system will decrease engine torquewith an increase in high RPMhorsepower. However, what performance you gain withmore top-end horsepower is lessthan what you lost inlow-end torque. Torque is what moves a vehicle, not horsepower. The 4.3L V6 engine and stock exhaust system isoptimum as is. An unrestrictedexhaust system on a 4.3L engineis only for sound and appearance . This even applies to larger V8 engines to a certain extent, but a V8 has torque to spare and mayhave a overall performance gain withhigher top-end horsepower withthe correct final drive gear ratio.

Example: Remove the exhaust pipe expansion chamber and the 1/2" diameter exhaust tip froma 100 CC dirt-bike and you cannot even get it to untrack!

Quick Reply: headers and exhaust