Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

horse power gains

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Beginning Member
<3blazer is on a distinguished road
Default horse power gains

i know there are tons of threads about this, but i cant seem to find a great answer to what i should do for an increase in horse power. I really want my car to be able to accelrate faster and have all around more power.
i have a 1999 blazer LT, current mods:
-K&N cold air intake
-JBA exhaust system

Old 02-03-2010, 08:33 PM
99blaz is on a distinguished road

Well the intake and exhaust are a good start. The best power mod you can get that will for sure notice is to get the pcm tuned. There are other things too, headers(expensive), underdrive pulleys, electric fans, upgrade your plugs and wires. These are all realitively cheap and easy mods but keep in mind that that its a 4wd suv not a sports car.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:03 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Do not forget to a rebuild/ bore with a bigger cam will get you some more hp's...

I believe they had a 262=4.3 bored to a 270=4.3 bored 30 over? I think

They had it making a bit over 300 hp... and then they charged it and made 501 hp.....

*and forgot....* faster acceleration is best achieved with different gears

Old 02-04-2010, 12:01 PM
99blaz is on a distinguished road

Yea there is always that too. But i figured he was talking about bolt ons. But yea with some work the 4.3 will put out over 300hp without a problem, just costly.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Beginning Member
<3blazer is on a distinguished road

yea i was thinking more along the lines of bolt ons, i almost bought a jet chip but i decided i didnt wanna risk f*cking up my engine

Old 02-25-2010, 08:03 PM
00Blaze is on a distinguished road

Hey All!
New here... so while we are on the topic of Power Gains.. in your opinion.. what is the best performance+bang for your buck intake system. I have ran K&N in all my vehicles and loved it, and I run them in my four wheelers. I recently switched to a AFe Intake for my Super Duty.. but that's a whole different story. Anyways.. any help on that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

00Blaze

Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Old 02-25-2010, 08:19 PM
00Blaze is on a distinguished road

Spectreblazer,

I only posted this year becuase I have been reading on here how people don't like when other people post the same question 3 times over, and I am from the ATV Forum background and the same rules apply... along with "on the topic" questions. We were on the topic of horsepower gains, <3blazer asked for some power suggestions, and so did I. Sorry if I seemed to hi-jack the thread... but IMO I was keeping it on topic, and saving the action of making a new thread for a question like so.

00Blaze

Old 02-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 00Blaze
Spectreblazer,

I only posted this year becuase I have been reading on here how people don't like when other people post the same question 3 times over, and I am from the ATV Forum background and the same rules apply... along with "on the topic" questions. We were on the topic of horsepower gains, <3blazer asked for some power suggestions, and so did I. Sorry if I seemed to hi-jack the thread... but IMO I was keeping it on topic, and saving the action of making a new thread for a question like so.

00Blaze

lol, hey messing with the newbies. its basically a campfire agrument. many say k&n is not restrictive enough (allows dirt in), others say they work fine. some run airaid others run spectre systems. its all personal choice

Old 02-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

00Blaze, welcome to the forum! They're all pretty much the same. As long as you have a good heatshield, thats what matters. You can even build your own heatshield. Or heck, k&n will sell the heatshield itself for $40, go on eBay and get an intake for under $50, and pick up a 3.5" k&n filter from Autozone/Advance Auto/Pep Boys/etc. and you've got basically a k&n intake for under $150. Comparedt o almost $300 new. With that you've got money to buy other goodies.

Quick Reply: horse power gains