Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

How can I increase gas mileage?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Flip01002003 is on a distinguished road
Default How can I increase gas mileage?!?!

Hello all. I have a 1994/1995 Chevy S-10 Blazer with a Vortec 4.3L CPI engine. Right now I'm getting some pretty bad gas mileage. I just wanted to know what I could do to increase my gas mileage. Because it's technically a 94 I won't need emissions, so if it isn't "street legal" it won't matter. Please tell me what I can do, where I can get the stuff, and how much it generally costs. I'm moving to Illinois to go to college and it would be nice to get some better gas mileage for when I drive home on the weekends.

THANK YOU.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Logan is on a distinguished road

Buying a diesel will give you amazing gas mileage...lol

Old 09-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Banned
blazerboyz is on a distinguished road

GEO TRACKER.....enough said....lol
mines for sale if you want it i got a pic of it look under my name....loljk
Just do basic maintinence man tune up air filter start there

Old 09-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Starting Member
speterson1011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Basically alls you can do is have your truck as light as possible, Accelerate slow, basic maintenance like changing oil, oil filter, plugs, and plug wires. Make sure your tires are inflated properly. Drive the speed limit. 65 on the interstate, and get you a K&N air filter from autozone for about 45 bucks. Clean out your throttle body and butterfly valve. The throttle body cleaner is found at autozone for 5 bucks. Run some Seafoam through your fuel from time to time. Make sure your fuel filter is good to go. Thats about all you can do without buying a new egine and re gearing or so or finding some lighter tires lol. The biggest thing you can do is drive the speed limit around town and accelerate slow and dont forget about 65mph on the highway you will love how much it saves you. Hope this all helps. Good Luck

Old 09-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few threads on this subject...
how to improve mpgs
trying to increase gas mileage....
to name a few.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:08 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Use OEM type/size tires, big offroad tires will kill your mileage. I have Michline LT X Radials. Great highway tires and light offroading. Gradual start/stops, use cruise control whenever possible, KN Air filter, Full Synthetic Oil helps reduce friction therefore helps mileage. Do not carry a lot of extra weight if not needed. I getting average 18 MPG in mixed City/Highway driving. Straight Highway I would get over 21 MPG. This is for a 2000 GMC Jimmy Diamond Edition.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Flip01002003 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Logan
Buying a diesel will give you amazing gas mileage...lol
lol Yeah you have one that I could buy for under $10,000?? Them things are expensive!!

I know there are a lot of other posts, one of them is all about the person's grammar, and the other one is all about CAI.

On that note, would an after-market intake help at all? I've read up that it can get you like 1 or 2 more mpg, but every little bit helps. Brand new K&N intakes are like, $300. What about the ones all over E-Bay for like, $60?? Maybe one of them with a K&N filter??? I don't know I'm just throwing out ideas here.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Logan is on a distinguished road

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...AdIdZ218364527

Dont ask me what it says... I dont speak quebexican...

Old 08-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Starting Member
km81982 is on a distinguished road

My blazer did the same thing turns out it was the fuel pressure regulator, you can buy one from autozone for around 45. Be careful when installing it though there is a tiny screw that goes into the top and if it isnt done perfect it will run really rough and not want to stay running but it is also a good way of knowing its not in right. Smell and roughness should go away instantly if done right and gas mileage will significantly improve. I replaced fuel regulator, air filer, fuel pump, fuel fliter and screen as well as a gas treatment and new plugs but did all the later before regulator in narrowing it down. Luckily I have an uncle who is head mechanic at local chevy dealer and when nothing else worked I took it to him. Getting about 17-19 mpg around town now.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Beginning Member
motorboy1128 is on a distinguished road

I have thought bout doing plugs in my chevy blazer 4.3l any problems on the spark plugs? I just changed them on my 04 f150 5.4 triton....broke every plug biggest pain in the **** i tell ya...I have 212k on my blazer replaced tires brake pads fron and back, replaced the air filter only get 13.5 mpg...I was going to replace my fuel filter, run injector cleaner and change oil, I was wondering....if I changed my tranny oil and filter if that would help a tad bit, I know not one thing will just increase it be a whole lot but was wondering, little here and there will do a little better on the road...only 15 just replaced the heater core my self winter project, I just cant bare to pay 3.50 something a gallon and it only get me to maybe school....and back. with a tail wind both times :'( i love my blazer already, leather, heated seats bose sound system every package on the vehichle, I just actually got done installing a mp3 player hook up to the stock deck, works pretty darn good if I say so my self! best 14 bucks ive ever spent! I need a new tranny in the next year and a half or two and a new steering box...any estimate on a steering box? My rack and pinion are getting pretty lose so at 50 plus its kind of scary....any ways gas mileage! Help me! I have only 3 months til Ill be driving alone and need help! thank you!

Quick Reply: How can I increase gas mileage?!?!