Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

k&n

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Beginning Member
avfrff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default k&n

Im thinking about putting a k&n cold air intake on my 03 blazer, and i was wondering how much fuel milage ill save and is it worth it.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:08 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default RE: k&n

I'll say you'll get 1-2 MPG max and 5-10 hp. From a financial standpoint, its not worth it, but it makes it idle a lot better and also makes it run better when you stomp it.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Burlisonm is an unknown quantity at this point

I have one on my 03 Blazer and I can't tell a difference in the gas milage but you can tell a little difference on how it runs and the sound that it makes.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:26 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

ive got one on my 98. it does sound better and runs a little better but there is maybe a 1mpg gain from without it... a catback exhaust will help you out also

Old 11-06-2007, 07:28 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

I would get it if I didnt have so many miles and a newer blazer. Yeah it is a high intial cost, but I would say it would be worthwhile. I have heard gains of 1-2mpg which adds up in the long run, plus I am sure it helps on stepping on the gas and makes it sound/perform better.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:54 PM
SmokeU is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm getting one that for sure

I need more acceleration and all so I want it to sound cool

Old 11-20-2007, 07:10 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

ebay is the best place

i ordered mine from MAW_PRODUCTSthey raised the price a little from when i bought mine though. the only thing i didnt like was that they shipped it in the original K&N box. i guess it lets you know that it really is new but at the same time, people who drive by can clearly see a K&N product sitting by your front door

if you want good sound, get a new muffler... click the magnaflow in my sig

Old 11-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Starting Member
YepIOwnA97Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

if you want to save on cost you can get them for like $70 - $95 on ebay and then slap a k&n filter on it

Old 11-20-2007, 07:38 PM
BF Veteran

yeah but a K&N filter is pricey. i think the replacement cone filter for mine is like $55. i think the AEM filters are better.i would have gotten the AEM Brute Force CAI but the K&N was cheaper

Old 11-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Mr Blazer LT is an unknown quantity at this point

What i've learned from personal experience about bolt-ons:
No intake in the world will improve gas mileage to the point that you will save money. No intake will improve power significantly alone. All it does is improve breathability for the vehicle and make it sound cool. Doing more to aid in breathability like free flowing headers, bigger and/or catback exhaust, polished intake manifold, and such things will help increase the numbers and even then the gains are still not all that huge on most vehicles.

Also, all intakes basically achieve the same goal regardless of brand. I got a drop in K & N for the factory box. Otherwise, I don't plan to modify my engine, but if I did, I would either buy the absolute most cheapest metal intake that I could find on Ebay or I would just build my own intake. Personally, I can't justify spending a bunch of money on a namebrand intake ever again when the "crap" brands usually do 70%-80% of the job. The filter is what's really important so K & N, AEM, Injen, or even a NAPA gold or similar should be on the end of course.