Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

making the 4.3 go vroom vroom

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Beginning Member
rockbuggy4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default making the 4.3 go vroom vroom

Ok, so here's the scoop. I'm replacing the 4.3 in my rockbuggy with a v8. And I'm also going to and a spare cab and chassis, so I was thinking about putting the 4.3 into the 3/4 ton chassis and either turning that into an off road machine too or flat out sell it. The 4.3 engine is a '95 and I want to put some performance mods on it either way. Just to avoid confusion, this is the engine.

Attached Thumbnails making the 4.3 go vroom vroom-cpi.jpg  
Old 06-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

if you were to make a completely off road machine (i.e. not road legal) and you keep the 4.3, i would get rid of all the computer stuff and get a stand alone fuel injection system. then you can pretty much go hog wild with the thing as far as your wallet lets you. then if you bang it up on a trail, no biggie. just put it away and fix it later.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Beginning Member

the 4.3 is going to go into an 87 pickup truck. I'd like to keep it street legal as best I can.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Jimmy_Blazer is on a distinguished road

How does one do a stand alone injector system on this motor?

Old 08-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Old 08-15-2013, 03:55 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

If it were me I would go with an eldabrock performer manifold and a 600 cfm 1406 eldabrock carb.If its a roller cam convert it to flat tappet hrydrolic style cam with a beefier grind.The go with headers,dual exhaust with hpipe or crossover.You could also go with 350 flat top pistons but you would have to have the skirts of the pistons ground down to match that of the standard piston and have them balanced.
This is something I have planned for 92 4.3 that I have as a project motor.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:54 PM

why would you put a flat tappet cam in?

Old 08-15-2013, 09:37 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

yall gotta remember,he has cpi,which has a balanced shaft. Aftermarket manifolds sometimes has clearance issues with the shaft. you have to either grind it down to clear (did this one,engine shook like nuts) or remove it and replace the holes with freeze plugs.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:02 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

The reason for converting it into a flat tappet cam is that you can use a camshaft with bigger lobes higher valve lift compared to the roller cam.Its also much cheaper for a flat tappet cam than using a roller cam.A new roller cam with higher lift and longer duration is going to set you back $500 or more vs a flat tappet cam and lifters longer push rods and guides for $250.If you can afford to buy the higher lift roller cam then leave it roller.Then Im sure you are going to get or want roller roller tip rockers for another $150 give or take.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Beginning Member

well, I don't have a carb and in no way am I going to spend thousands on an EFI kit, or in the mood for non-bolt-on heads. However, I do have a H1C turbo that I won't be using for much longer and came up with a great idea to put it on this engine. I know, I know, it's not going to "bolt on" but it'll be a lot more fun to try and get it to work. If I can get it to work, the engine is going into an off road truck, so the less electronics the better.

Quick Reply: making the 4.3 go vroom vroom