Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

More power for my '04

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 02:24 PM
bigbrett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More power for my '04

I'd like to know what you guys think about DIY power upgrades. Like cold air intakes, free flow exhaust, computer changes, electric fans, etc. I'd like to know where to get the biggest bang for my buck! I've got a 2004 downsize, or S-10 Blazer, But no W engine, 8th and 9th vin are XX. 4 door, 4X4. All stock. 52,000 miles. I haven't been here in awhile, but you guys are always very helpful. So thanks!

Old 04-08-2007, 03:25 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: More power for my '04

I believe for 03 + X is the high output. I maybe be wrong. Your best bet would be intake and exhaust and if you have the money a chip.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

I agree intake, exhaust system and either a Jet,Hyper Tech orSuper Chips power controller. Oh and don't forget a new 180 degreethermostat.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:19 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

OOOOOO 180

Old 04-15-2007, 02:43 PM

What do you guys think about the little modules on e-bay for like 20 bucks? They claim 35 horsepower, but I'm not sure I can trust it to not harm my engine. Have any of you tried this? What did you think? You can just type "blazer performance" on e-bay to see what parts I mean. Thanks again for the advice!

Old 04-15-2007, 02:52 PM
speeddemon560 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: bigbrett

What do you guys think about the little modules on e-bay for like 20 bucks? They claim 35 horsepower, but I'm not sure I can trust it to not harm my engine. Have any of you tried this? What did you think? You can just type "blazer performance" on e-bay to see what parts I mean. Thanks again for the advice!
No. They are cheap, generic resistors that fool the computer into thinking that the incoming air is colder than it really is which changes the fuel/air ratio. Basically, it is a waste of $20 plus shipping costs. Do not buy it.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:58 PM

Awesome! That's exactly what I wanted to know! I won't. If you wanted to spend like 3 or 4 hundred bucks. What would you buy first, if you were me.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:12 PM
speeddemon560 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no idea if your truck is completely stock or not, but here I go. A cold air intake and an new exhaust system are necessities. You can either buy a K&N FIPK cai for about $250-300. It's pricey, I know, but it replaces all the stock air piping with better aftermarket piping. Or you can just remove your stock air box and put a K&N air filter in, it's probably about $70-80 from a car parts store.

For the exhaust system, buy a Dynomax Super Turbo or Flowmaster 40 series, because they are great aftermarket systems and also sound great. I have a Dynomax ST and I love it. The muffler, and all new gaskets and piping and everything cost me about $180 from summitracing.

For the chip, I would get a Jet or Hypertech PP3. You should go to their websites and find the part number for the programmers you need, then search eBay for one. You can usually get one for about $150 off eBay, a lot cheaper than $400 new. Just make sure it's NOT vin-locked when you buy it used, or else it's worthless to you. You just plug the programmer in under the dash and answer a series of yes/no questions for increased acceleration and firmer shifting.

The Hypertech 180 degree thermostat is nice. I bought mine for about $30.

As for electric fans, search blazerforum for "electric fans" or "taurus fans" and see what you get.

Any other questions, just ask.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:54 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

For exhaust FM40s are the way to go, get 2.5inch pipe from cat to muffler, and 2.5 inch pipe from the muffler back. For best tone, get a angle cut single walled3.5' tip, or a rolled end singlewalled strait cut 3' tip.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:43 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

the tip has nothing to do with the sound

Quick Reply: More power for my '04