Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

New Intake

Old 05-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Starting Member
Crestwood1001 is on a distinguished road
Default New Intake

I just changed my air filter and saw how small the intake hole is on it... I was on ebay and you can get new intakes without the heatsheild for like fifty bucks. Is it worth it if there is no heat sheild?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you toss the filter in the garbage, get a K&N, and only use the piping, then fab up a heat shield.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Starting Member

What do you use to make it? Wouldnt it still be better than stock even without the sheild? Like if I just put it all on and get the better filter

Old 05-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Common misconception. Hot air is worse than the perceived restriction in the intake. I say perceived because that hole really is not all that small in relation to the other restrictions (throttle body) in the intake tract.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:13 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Use the search option man. There are 3 threads on building a heat shield/CAI yourself. They even have specs. Hell, today alone there has been a thread with 4 or 5 posts in it about this very question! Complete with link to a $20 CAI! Dude the "New Posts" option will aloow you to stay up to date on each and every new thread AND post.

Now follow me on this last part. Since you are an Automotive Engieneer, and have clearly tested the stock intake and found it severely wanting in the "hole" department, my question to you is this. How the F did it pass quality control at GM? Granted they drop ****ty products on us, but how the hell has the stock intake lasted this long on so many vehicles with the "hole" being so very very small?

Search "swiss mod" "swissing" "airbox" and "cutting more bigger holes in my working crap because I know better about things"

Last edited by ABN31B; 05-28-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: 95's have no MAF :(
Old 05-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Administrator

95 == no MAF. Crest, it would help greatly if you could include that information in your signature and attach it to all of your posts.

And removing the MAF screen can cause some adverse side effects...

Old 05-28-2009, 05:47 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

edited. and the end half was mostly (all) sarcasim ...

Old 05-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Starting Member

Ok, now i no MAF is Mass Air Flow sensor right? Now what do you mean by removing the screen and how would I go about it. And APN, i know i dont know much about this stuff thats why im on here lol im trying to learn as much as i can. I just added the info on the truck to my sig.

Last edited by Crestwood1001; 05-28-2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: New
Old 05-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by swartlkk
95 == no MAF. *snip*
See above.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
See above.
I still dont get it lol, what would removing it do?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Intake