Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

onboard air 4.3L

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 07:58 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road
Default onboard air 4.3L

I'm looking to put an edc in my truck, anyone done one while maintaining factory ac? Would love to see pictures as well as any tips you may have. I would prefer a york 210, or 209 but I think due to clearance reasons I might have to use a sandan or try and find a super compact york...

I have a 3" body lift so I don't know if I can clear the york compressor beside my alternator like most people due.. if you have this style, would it be possible to check for clearance? I am aware the overflow must go and computer mount would have to be made..

I already have a 5 gallon tank which I can mount under the body between the frame and driveshaft, have already checked for clearance and will fit great. Also have an airhorn, now I just need air I don't want electric!! or I would not be posting this. Electric compressors are easy to install but don't put out enough air to run air tools.

I drive a 2001 GMC Jimmy 4.3L 4x4, 3" body lift... so 4.3 vortec

Old 11-07-2010, 02:59 PM

no one is running an engine driven compressor as well as retaining factory a/c?

Old 11-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say as I have ever seen an s-series on here with an engine driven compressor.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I can't say as I have ever seen an s-series on here with an engine driven compressor.
well that's no fun. All the bagged guys running them don't seem to have a body lift *shrugs* guess I'm on my own. Got a few other things to take care off first, but I will make sure to keep everyone updated... That is If I can figure a way to mount it without removing my a/c and too much modifications... Otherwise I might be stuck with an electric.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:58 AM
Steinbruchsoldat is on a distinguished road

I'm just trying to do that too.

I think I'll go to the scrapyard on friday and look for a ac compressor. I think I'll go with a sanden...

Old 11-08-2010, 12:52 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

My 93 has the ac compressor converted to a air pump and my front bumper is a tank but the ac don't work anymore. I gutted all that stuff a while ago. I've had that set up for a few years and really havenet neeeded it on the trail

Old 11-08-2010, 02:22 PM

Could you please post some pics of that?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Steinbruchsoldat
I'm just trying to do that too.

I think I'll go to the scrapyard on friday and look for a ac compressor. I think I'll go with a sanden...
buddy of mine owns a scrap buisness, so basically I will be using whatever I get first

make sure you put an inline oiler to oil the sandan, or at minimum squirt some oil in it fairly often.
Sandan's are much easier to find room for and pump very similar air. but don't have much for internal oiling like the york's do

Last edited by 69chevelle; 11-08-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:30 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Steinbruchsoldat
Could you please post some pics of that?
eh. theres really nothing to post a pic up of but ill see what i got. basically i did it the cheap and easy way. i got the a/c pump on a toggle switch, cut the lines and spliced into the output line and have that running to the bumper which acts as a tank. only reason i did was for emergency reason, like a flat tire on the trails. i really dont plan on running a impact. as far as oil, a little spray in the intake hose works fine

and theres the intake hose with the toggle to switch it on

Old 11-10-2010, 02:33 AM

Thanks, that helped a lot...

Let's see what I get on friday...

Quick Reply: onboard air 4.3L