Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

PCM question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:47 AM
huntersblaze is on a distinguished road
Default PCM question

There is a 2000 blazer PCM for sale on my local craigslist, I have a 1998 and I have been wanting to get a PCM tune like the PCMforless or the wait4me tunes. Would buying the 2000 PCM and sending it to get tuned work for my 1998?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Quik is on a distinguished road

if bryan herter is the guy doing the tunes for PCM4Less then stay away stay far away from that HACK. He is known all over the fullsize truck world, the Fbody world as a complete hack.

the 00 Pcm should still be ablack pcm so yes it woudl work

Old 02-28-2010, 10:23 AM

Nice, thanks for the reply man, so do you suggest getting the wait4me tune?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:31 AM

no, in the truck world he doesnt have a good name either

Old 02-28-2010, 10:51 AM

good to know, well where do yo suggest getting the tune? or do you just not suggest getting a pcm tune.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:36 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Hmmm, a few guys on here have gotten base tunes from Wait4me and PCM4less without any issues... Swartlkk's was damaged in transit though, and he promptly recieved a new PCM free of charge... I think he went with PCMforless.

I wanna hear more because I was thinking of getting a tune. Who would you suggest?

Old 02-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I love the PCMforLess tune in my Rainier and know of quite a few people with their PCMs in blazers. Not a single complaint. I am not sure how many people they have doing the tunes...

As far as the original question goes, that PCM should do fine for a core. You should let them know that it is a donor core though and not the PCM from your truck. I am not sure if that makes a difference or not, but the more information they have, the better. I just wouldn't want something from the donor truck that was different from yours causing an issue.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:52 PM

heres the thing. If you have no clue what is going on with the tunes then you cant really say a good thing or bad thing. You only have your own experience. If you have actual knowledge of the software they use you would then know how much of a hack they are. They dont tune properly they are what is called a PE raper. Before i got software and learned the program PCM4less tuned my truck and he couldnt get it to idle run for ****, had shift points higher then rev limiter and list can go on. I got software after him ****ing my truck up and 500 bucks later. I seen his mistakes and he charged for **** he claimed he did without doing it

So unless you actually know waht is going on your going to say you have no issues. start tossing REAL mods at your combo and see how well that hack tunes your truck

Old 02-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Tuning stock trucks and tuning modified ones is a bit different of a thing. If you had modified your truck and expected someone to tune to your mods from a mail order company, I would expect them to fail. This would be something that I would leave up to a true dyno tuner to play with or do myself.

I have messed with OBD1 TBI tunes in the past and will be jumping back into that once I drop the L05 into my K5 this summer so I am not new to ECU/PCM tuning. I have not done an OBD2 setup yet because I haven't found a need for the expense at this point in time.

And yes, all anyone can do is speak from their experience. You obviously had a bad experience with them. Sucks for sure. Maybe everyone that has had a good experience with them haven't gotten the true potential out of their vehicles, but were happy with the improvements they did get. Who knows. They are still positive reviews though.

And no, I do not know what specific changes they have made to my truck, but I do know that it is running properly under all conditions as I have monitored my vehicle through all different conditions after my tune using my AutoEnginuity scan tool. So it is working properly with an added boost just about everywhere. Besides, there aren't any 'real' engine mods for my Rainier (restricted PCM which doesn't allow for forced induction). It is more sparse on the available engine mods than the 4.3L. But that isn't the intent of this thread. I believe the OPs question has been answered.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Tuning stock trucks and tuning modified ones is a bit different of a thing. If you had modified your truck and expected someone to tune to your mods from a mail order company, I would expect them to fail. This would be something that I would leave up to a true dyno tuner to play with or do myself.

I have messed with OBD1 TBI tunes in the past and will be jumping back into that once I drop the L05 into my K5 this summer so I am not new to ECU/PCM tuning. I have not done an OBD2 setup yet because I haven't found a need for the expense at this point in time.

And yes, all anyone can do is speak from their experience. You obviously had a bad experience with them. Sucks for sure. Maybe everyone that has had a good experience with them haven't gotten the true potential out of their vehicles, but were happy with the improvements they did get. Who knows. They are still positive reviews though.

And no, I do not know what specific changes they have made to my truck, but I do know that it is running properly under all conditions as I have monitored my vehicle through all different conditions after my tune using my AutoEnginuity scan tool. So it is working properly with an added boost just about everywhere. Besides, there aren't any 'real' engine mods for my Rainier (restricted PCM which doesn't allow for forced induction). It is more sparse on the available engine mods than the 4.3L. But that isn't the intent of this thread. I believe the OPs question has been answered.
please dont try to school me on what is involved in tuning. I do this for a side job now. Your Rainer is same as the Trailblazers and that PCM is capable of mods other then your typical bolt ons.

you can defend the fool and i can show you countless threads of his failures. GO visit silveradoSS.com,ls1truck.com,ls1tech.com,Performan cetrucks.net,quickstreettrucks.com,Ls1.com. those are just a few sites to show you threads if you want to go look for his hack work.

Quick Reply: PCM question