Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

PCMforLess.com Tune for the Rainier

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default PCMforLess.com Tune for the Rainier

My new PCM will be here tomorrow by the time I get home from work.

I need to take a baseline run with the stock tune before I swap the PCM over and then I'll take a tuned run. My AutoEnginuity scanner will tell the tale.

I had them tune it to premium fuel, towing, and shift firmness of 2.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:15 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I had them tune it to premium fuel, towing, and shift firmness of 2.
Well la dee da! Someone's made of $$$

Can't wait to see the differences. I have read a bit about the tune jobs and what they are supposed to produce. Will be nice to get a look at the actual numbers involved im for you

Old 11-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, this is cheaper than the alternative. I have been having some issues with the truck stalling when on a slight incline and letting off the throttle to coast a bit, then getting back on the throttle (damn fly by wire). Local dealership wants $90 to "diagnose" the problem and states it'll be another $90 to upload the update to the PCM to cure the problem (per the TSB I have quoted them). They will not just upload the update for $90. The PCMforLess tuned PCM is costing me $200 total, $150 if I decide to send my PCM back to them. Cheaper alternative with added bonuses.

PCMforLess states their tunes can run on one step lower in octane with minimal loss of the benefits. Since I get better mileage right now with 89 than 87, I currently run mid-grade 89. Premium (93) is only another $0.10/gallon more which amounts to just over a dollar more per week for me. Not a bank breaker by any means.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:47 PM
BF Veteran

BUT it's like drinking Patron when everyone else is drinking Cuervo. You get just as drunk, you just look much cooler doing it

Either way, i can't wait to see the difference

Old 11-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Well, a little delay in this project... New PCM arrived, but the box was damaged. I installed it anyway to see if the damage to the box affected the PCM. Well, it did... I could not get my scan tool to connect to the PCM and on an initial test drive, the ABS & Brake lights came on and the truck was locked into 2nd gear. PCMforLess will be sending me out a replacement. Kinda stinks, but it is hardly their fault.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:16 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Interested in the outcome of this...

Old 11-11-2009, 11:17 PM
BF Veteran

wow. Anti-climax....

Hope the new one gets there quickly.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:52 AM
Administrator

You're telling me!

Old 11-18-2009, 10:01 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

NOOO!!! I hate cliffhangers...
That sucks.
Hope the next PCM will work.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:54 AM
Administrator

I'd like to find out... They do not have the replacement on hand at this moment to ship back to me... I'm hangin' here too!

Quick Reply: PCMforLess.com Tune for the Rainier