Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Power & Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:16 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: Power & Mileage

!??! wtf is wrong with my truck? a lot of these threads about gas mileage depress me. i get around 16. sometimes 17 if im lucky. i have to admit, i am a little harder on the gas than some people. but can a heavier foot really make that much of a difference? i figured it was maybe costing me about 1-2mpg but not 7. i do have a 4door 4wd which is quite a bit heavier than an xtreme but its still depressing

Old 11-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I never got better than 18 with my old Bravada (AWD w/ 3.73 gears) and that was pure highway, albeit loaded to the gills. Anyhow, mileage is HIGHLY dependant on terrain, temperature, traffic, and # of stops you generally make. Also influencing mileage greatly is the gears and drivetrain of the vehicle. If you have 3.73 ratio gears, you shouldn't expect to get the same mileage as 3.42 ratio gears.

Heck, with my new Rainier, I get 16mpg on my commute to and from work. I did get 22mpg on my most recent trip with it though. But again, it's AWD and has 3.73 gears. Am I worried, no, I bought another truck for a reason.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:23 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

i got the 3.42... i have a little extra weight from my subs but thats not much. blznlow has subs too. i guess the only way for me to find out how much my heavy foot is costing me is to go a few tank fulls with a lighter foot.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: otnietdehoooo

i got the 3.42... i have a little extra weight from my subs but thats not much. blznlow has subs too. i guess the only way for me to find out how much my heavy foot is costing me is to go a few tank fulls with a lighter foot.
You think you have it bad, i get 14mpg... But its all city driving tho. I'm on a highway for a total of 2 minutes. And that's with my subs and 20's on my truck. Btw I have 3.42 gears as well..

Old 11-09-2007, 02:04 PM
AtreyuManiac is an unknown quantity at this point

Well the lot of you getting better gas mileage than me also have newer blazers, keep in mind i have a 94. haha

Old 11-09-2007, 05:10 PM
BF Veteran

well, my driving is about 75% on the freeway but when im going to school and coming home, its rush hour trafiic so it might as well be all city driving... yeah the newer trucks seem to get a little bit better mileage.
Dave, when you get your lift and big tires, are you gonna change the gears too?

Old 11-15-2007, 03:45 PM
94 tahoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Just found this site and have to say i was getting around 14mpg with a leaky fuel return lines(nut kit)[:@]however now its fixed i seem to get around 20-22mpg doing both country roads and motorwayhere in the UKand the thing drives like new again
also i have to mention that when i tow my caravan the mpg doesn't drop that much either.

the car is a 1994 blazer taho LT with the vortec 4.3w engine fitted
cheers
Keith UK member

Old 11-15-2007, 05:10 PM
N2BLAZIN is an unknown quantity at this point

Do your fuel filter and clean out your throttle body. I take and clean my throttle body and the upper part of my engine. Where are you idling at right now when the engine is warm?
BTW I only get like 11-13 mpg and I've got a 98 with a K&N FIPK2, high flow fuel pump, magnaflow high flow cat, flowmaster with 2 inch pipes, hypertech, and a couple of other goodies but you should still be able to get a couple more miles ifall your stuff is clean and well maintained.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:27 PM
BF Veteran

well i just put mobil1 synthetic oit in it and now i idle right between 500-600...

i have been reluctant to try and clean the throttle body because a guy i work with said his truck ran rougher after cleaning it. he said it knocked out a lot of carbon build up and gunk in the engine, but he also said, the build up was actually keeping everything working correctly and after it was gone, it wasnt so smooth anymore... he said it should work if you do it every few thousand miles but it was the first time he had done it and his truck had like 165000 miles

does anyone know if there is any truth to that? an upper intake cleaning actually hurting performance?

Old 11-19-2007, 10:54 PM
ltown21 is an unknown quantity at this point

I only get around 13[&o] but I need new tires cause mine loose air every week or so. And in the future, I'm going to buy an eBay intake and get a new muffler. hopefully that will help

Quick Reply: Power & Mileage