Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

rea axle dual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:38 AM
Beginning Member
bobbyb64 is on a distinguished road
Default rea axle dual conversion

Hey Guys,
Can anyone tell me how a single wheel axle can be converted into a dually?
What mods and parts are required?
Prishiate it.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What are you working with to start? Dually axles were on 1-tons most commonly.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
What are you working with to start? Dually axles were on 1-tons most commonly.
Like going dually on a K5 Blazer. Is there anyways of converting the original axle to a dually?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Anything is possible with time & money, but to make a dually out of a standard 10-bolt or 12-bolt rear axle as found under a K5 in stock form, you would have to get longer wheel studs & likely get custom inner/outer rims to bolt through like a dually does. Not really worth it, especially if you aren't going to use the truck under circumstances that a dually typically would be used for (hauling heavy loads, etc).

If you really want to do it, I would swap in a dually 14BFF & get the proper wheels. If you find a full 1-ton dually, take the front & rear axles and swap them over to your truck then you can use the same rims all the way around.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:46 AM
Beginning Member

Anything is possible with time & money, but to make a dually out of a standard 10-bolt or 12-bolt rear axle as found under a K5 in stock form, you would have to get longer wheel studs & likely get custom inner/outer rims to bolt through like a dually does. Not really worth it, especially if you aren't going to use the truck under circumstances that a dually typically would be used for (hauling heavy loads, etc).

If you really want to do it, I would swap in a dually 14BFF & get the proper wheels. If you find a full 1-ton dually, take the front & rear axles and swap them over to your truck then you can use the same rims all the way around.
You mentioned that going dually would be used for heavy hauling , I m looking for better traction offroad besides being able to tow a heavy trailer. Do you think this would help?
Many Thanx.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Administrator

IMO, converting to a dually will hurt more than help offroad.

How heavy of a trailer are you thinking of hauling? What would your tongue weight be (what's transferred to the truck)?

Old 09-10-2011, 01:29 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

How heavy of a trailer are you thinking of hauling? What would your tongue weight be (what's transferred to the truck)?
yeah the true dually axle is a 14bolt axle that is gonna hang way lower then your stock axle and also weighs a bit more. instead of messing with whatever stock axle you have, if youre really concidering this. just buy a dually axle. should be upwards of $100. they are all over. i had a dana 70 dually axle laying around here i couldnt give away for few years. finally someone bought it for $10 on ebay

also (most) dually axles are gonna be 8 lugs so youre gonna need new rims too

Old 09-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Beginning Member

I d be towing two types of trailers one s a camper trailer and the other would be a simpler flat trailer carrying a rock crawler on different occasions.
I m not sure how tongue weight s figured out but I kow the crawler doesnt weiht more than a 1.5 ton.
Many Thanx.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:27 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by abig84
yeah the true dually axle is a 14bolt axle that is gonna hang way lower then your stock axle and also weighs a bit more. instead of messing with whatever stock axle you have, if youre really concidering this. just buy a dually axthle. should be upwards of $100. they are all over. i had a dana 70 dually axle laying around here i couldnt give away for few years. finally someone bought it for $10 on ebay

also (most) dually axles are gonna be 8 lugs so youre gonna need new rims too
sounds good. I d probably doing that. prishiate the tips. what s your opinion about having a dually for offroad use and not just for hauling?

Old 09-11-2011, 01:36 AM
Beginning Member

By the way swart can you explainmore on how it would hurt off road? I ve been under the
impression that I d have better traction like seen on tractors in farms .

Quick Reply: rea axle dual conversion